Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

Old 03-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Default Technology: The Downfall of Man

I for one believe that venturing into neuro-robotics and robotics involving making robots think for themselves will be the eventual downfall of man.

What do y'all think.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old  
Google
Default Ads by Google

Old 03-10-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Axel
=D

I think you've been watching iRobot a bit too many times.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Frank
G-dictator

Or the matrix....
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:16 AM   #4
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Maybe it's because he watched this.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Natus Lumen
Banned

That is some scary shift.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

well, iRobot is a manifest of what I think will happen, or Terminator 3. Bigger, faster, stronger, I don't care. But when things can start to think for themselves, bad things happen.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

Be sure to make friends with them fast. Even if they wipe out humanity, maybe that one you became friends with will hide you in it's closet.
Ryu-Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
well, iRobot is a manifest of what I think will happen, or Terminator 3. Bigger, faster, stronger, I don't care. But when things can start to think for themselves, bad things happen.
That is a possible scenario and at the rate of which our technology is advancing the whole "Terminator" thing may come soon. But we shouldn't worry too much about it I think.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Axel
=D

Well there's one thing we can all be certain on: DEMOCRACY DOESN'T WORK!
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Well there's one thing we can all be certain on: DEMOCRACY DOESN'T WORK!
uh...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

This falls into the same category as the apocalypse, 666, and Y2K.
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Hayubasa

Tournaments Won: 1

Nothing will happen as long as there is an "off" button
Old 03-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
God
2 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
I for one believe that venturing into neuro-robotics and robotics involving making robots think for themselves will be the eventual downfall of man.
What do y'all think.
Wat
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Natus Lumen
Banned

I hope we're smart enough to maintain control before it's too late.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

Just going to step out on a big old limb here and ask, has anyone here seen Ghost in the Shell before? That was a functioning society, no problems between humans and androids, there were humanist groups opposed entirely to cyberization (getting an electronic brain, prosthetic body etc.) but because most of the world was accepting the new technology there were no problems and people were open minded.
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayubasa View Post
Nothing will happen as long as there is an "off" button
Not quite that easy. What controls of off button? The machine........
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
The Perfect Seven
g-spot

Come to think of it, maybe those Amish aren't so crazy after all...
The Perfect Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #18
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Seven View Post
Come to think of it, maybe those Amish aren't so crazy after all...
I wouldn't take it quite to the extreme as the amish. What I'm saying is, and as stated in that video, we will have a supercomputer thats smarter than the human brain by 2023. Not that that poses and harm in itself, but if incorporated with logic, it could have devastating consequences.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
The Perfect Seven
g-spot

I was just being a little sarcastic. But I am curious, by what criteria would we consider anything "smarter than the human brain"? Aren't most calculators already smarter than the human brain because they can solve complex math equations in a split second? But then again, calculators can't think or feel or reason or invent which are all human characteristics.

We may not be smart enough to figure out a math equation in a split second, but we are smart enough to create a program that has the ability to do it. I think the technology humans create is only an extension or a product of our intelligence and it would be impossible to create something that is actually smarter than us. You can't create a robot that knows the cure for cancer. We can't give a machine a peice of intelligence that we don't even know ourselves.

Last edited by The Perfect Seven; 03-13-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 AM   #20
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Seven View Post
I was just being a little sarcastic. But I am curious, by what criteria would we consider anything "smarter than the human brain"? Aren't most calculators already smarter than the human brain because they can solve complex math equations in a split second? But then again, calculators can't think or feel or reason or invent which are all human characteristics.

We may not be smart enough to figure out a math equation in a split second, but we are smart enough to create a program that has the ability to do it. I think the technology humans create is only an extension or a product of our intelligence and it would be impossible to create something that is actually smarter than us. You can't create a robot that knows the cure for cancer. We can't give a machine a peice of intelligence that we don't even know ourselves.
The mind and a computer are different in one fundamental way, that the human brain requires connections from conscious thought to its memory banks. Therefore the human mind can easily forget things, if they are not emotionally, mentally, or physically unique because it does not create strong connections between conscious thought and the memory that has passed. Certain forms of autism make the human brain extremely similar to the modern computer, as the connections in the brain are completely solid for just about everything. As an example you could learn a foreign language fluently by

A. Reading the dictionary once
B. Learning grammar once

This has been proven and has happened in the past.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 AM   #21
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

Yes we can cure diseases, travel around the world easily and communicate over long distances, the world is doomed!
gwia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #22
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess_who_i_am View Post
Yes we can cure diseases, travel around the world easily and communicate over long distances, the world is doomed!
What are you talking about?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #23
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

Has anyone seen Ghost in the Shell? If you really want to go in depth about all of this you should consider some of science fiction's projections. Books like iRobot, Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep and even The Minority Report all have some fairly plausible predictions. Mankind took a big step back after the end of the Cold War and thought "we could ourselves the fuck up" and since then, everything we have done has had several possible outcomes already predicted.

Robots won't replace us in terms of superiority, machines need us for a variety of things and if worse comes to worst, we can do like the robot companies in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy did, install emotions.

Last edited by happylittleClayFox; 03-14-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: I wish I knew
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #24
Natus Lumen
Banned

Here's another viewpoint, not necessarily mine: Industrialization is the primary contributor to global warming. In one way or another, industrialization. Industrialization is a branch of technology, technically, and if the world were to end as it did in The Day After Tomorrow, with one big storm due to global warming killing off most of the northern hemisphere, that would make technology the downfall of humans. Again, if one man were to create a doomsday machine that destroyed the world from space, that would also make technology the downfall of man.

So in essence, most ways that the world has been projected to end in theories and stories were primarily because of technology.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
The Perfect Seven
g-spot

I've seen I Robot, The Minority Report and also AI (which is one of my favorite movies) but thats the sum total of my experience with that concept... so yea.

And even if there was a huge natural disaster like Neverender said, I would only consider technology an indirect cause... besides theres been plenty of natural disasters that happened before the days of global warming and pollution and whatnot. Its really impossible to control the climate even if you do get rid of technology.