Go Back   gprime.net boards > site related > special announcements

special announcements everything found here is considered to be important

Old 03-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #26
Junk_Train

Tournaments Won: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boong
In Kentucky you can't put an Ice Cream cone in your back pocket.
Or go without a bath/shower for 6 months, I think that one was cause of the meth lab idiots around here.

Anyways, the law is most likely to be repealed cause of the 1st amendment. It will be revised many times I think and then applied to forums that are elligible of not coinciding with the 1st amendment.

edit: I meant bill...bill ...sheesh where's my head?

Last edited by Junk_Train; 03-08-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #27
blackice
Administrator

Update: It looks like this thing may be dead in the water already. This is not a response to me personally, just something I found online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcsd.org
Thank you for your e-mail. I understand your concerns with my recently proposed legislation. Based on the number of negative responses I have received about this legislation I have asked the NJ Office of Legislative Services to prepare an opinion regarding this bill's enforceability and constitutionality.

I did not draft this bill with intent to limit freedom of speech. The intent behind this legislation was to bring some civility back to public forums, in particular the forums on www.nj.com. As I receive more feedback from, literally, around the country, it is becoming apparent that the bill may be too broad in scope and in reality not enforceable.

As an aside, this bill was only introduced in January. There have been no committee hearings regarding this bill and there are none scheduled to my knowledge. I am getting inundated with responses which I will review and use to better educate myself on the implications of this bill. If, after reviewing all of the correspondence and the opinion of OLS, it turns out that the bill is, in fact, unworkable, I will certainly reconsider and withdraw it. In other words, this is not something that will happen overnight.

It is unfortunate, from my perspective, that while my intention here was civility and respectfulness, it turns out that it may have gone too far.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

Pete Biondi
Assemblyman

Last edited by blackice; 03-09-2006 at 12:14 PM.
blackice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #28
Snow
19th President

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackice
Update: It looks like this thing may be dead in the water already. This is not a response to me personally, just something I found online.
Awesome.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #29
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
There is a bill that is in the NJ state legislature that concerns me as a staff member of Gprime.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/1327_I1.HTM

Basically if someone posts defamatory messages on Gprime, Gprime can be sued over it. Personally I see this as a bad thing. I would strongly urge all NJ residents of voting age to contact their state legislator and ask them to oppose this bill.
Well that sucks...
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #30
Led_Zeppelin
America, Canada's pants.

Well, I'm going to say it. New Jersey sucks. No one likes New Jersey.
Led_Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #31
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led_Zeppelin
Well...you can say that due to the fact they did make a bill that sucks.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #32
Snow
19th President

Quote:
Now everyone in New Jersey is gonna sue Gprime, because as far as they know, you're lying. Little do they know
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #33
treefalse
Super-Tree

Because I am a moderator, could I be sued? If we try to act against the offender, but we still can't get a name or adress, are we still busted?
treefalse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #34
terrelbot

Quote:
In general, no. If we had a valid complaint, we could subpeona your internet provider and get the address listed on your account.
The ISP wouldn't hand over the information though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefalse
Because I am a moderator, could I be sued? If we try to act against the offender, but we still can't get a name or adress, are we still busted?
You are 14 and can't be sued. Atleast not over defamation. Our justice system treats minors too nicely unfourtantly.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #35
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrelbot
The ISP wouldn't hand over the information though.

You are 14 and can't be sued. Atleast not over defamation. Our justice system treats minors too nicely unfourtantly.
#1. ISPs will give up anything. Thanks to the Digital Copyright act, they've been giving information about clients to the FBI for several years now.

#2. Adults can sue minors, Minors can sue minors. no restrictions there.
==============================
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefalse
yes, they can. and If your ISP wants to save its own *** instead of yours. they will give out information about you.

Last edited by MrNaPaLm32; 03-13-2006 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #36
Kent

Quote:
They wouldn't have tried to make this bill if that (quote) wasn't true in the first place.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #37
terrelbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32
#1. ISPs will give up anything. Thanks to the Digital Copyright act, they've been giving information about clients to the FBI for several years now.

#2. Adults can sue minors, Minors can sue minors. no restrictions there.
yes, they can. and If your ISP wants to save its own *** instead of yours. they will give out information about you.
What? Dude, you should be the last one to talk about lawsuits again. First lets begin with DCA. They have been giving out only certain information but keeps a majority of its client base and what it does secret. Why do you think the RIAA has to file all of its suits John Doe? Becuase if ISPS started giving out private information to companys its consumer base would leave it and the company would die in the water. ISPs have even proven that they will deny the goverment information.

#2 Ill give you a little breathing room on this one. I forgot to assume that all states laws are similar to mine. Though a majority of states give minors a larger base of rights to avoid being sued (entering contracts, labor, and slander) some don't.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #38
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
What? Dude, you should be the last one to talk about lawsuits again. First lets begin with DCA. They have been giving out only certain information but keeps a majority of its client base and what it does secret. Why do you think the RIAA has to file all of its suits John Doe? Becuase if ISPS started giving out private information to companys its consumer base would leave it and the company would die in the water. ISPs have even proven that they will deny the goverment information.
google doesnt, thats just one way.
Quote:
#2 Ill give you a little breathing room on this one. I forgot to assume that all states laws are similar to mine. Though a majority of states give minors a larger base of rights to avoid being sued (entering contracts, labor, and slander) some don't.
what do you mean "giving breathing room". you were wrong.

Last edited by MrNaPaLm32; 03-16-2006 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-17-2006, 02:13 AM   #39
terrelbot

Quote:
google doesnt, thats just one way.
You have to be the most clueless idiot ever.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #40
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Get over yourself.
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #41
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
You have to be the most clueless idiot ever.
I understand you're angry. It doesnt mean you have to get in other people's faces.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #42
terrelbot

Quote:
I understand you're angry. It doesnt mean you have to get in other people's faces.
Hey man, whatever you have to do to make yourself feel better. Enjoy spending your night alone though.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #43
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Hey man, whatever you have to do to make yourself feel better. Enjoy spending your night alone though.
wtf are you talking about?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #44
blackice
Administrator

I think it's time to test another new mod I installed.....
blackice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #45
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

what mod?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #46
tee-hee

Quote:
I'm guessing anything derogative. So saying "Joe" has stupid hair would count.
Joe's one of those damn emo kids

Santa: HO HO HO!!!
Pirate: YO HO HO!!!
NJ guy: YO YO YO!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #47
Atomic1fire
Best. Title. Ever.

1. tell the boss of the isp you know what he did last summer (or any day as long as he/she did something)
2. put up a tos stateing the forum/website is not responsible for anything said and done on both the forum and site
3. say joe is not ment to be of any likeness or physical relation to any real person.

the top 3 things to covering your self
Atomic1fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #48
aaproductions

Amen Iceland!!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #49
FLuRRy J

Amen Holland!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:24 AM   #50
Ilikepandas

Quote:
Say Joe Johnson lives in NJ. Joe may or may not be a member of Gprime, it makes no difference. SomeRandomPerson on GPrime posts a message saying that Joe likes to have sex with goats. Joe Johnson can then sue Gprime unless we have and turn over SomeRandomPerson's legal name and address.

As far as how many people live there, 8,717,925 (as of 2005) according to wikipedia.

and as for why I seem so concerned with this, think of the society we live in here in the states. People are sue happy. If they come looking to sue someone, even though I do not have any ownership interest in Gprime, I am listed as an administrator of the board as is John. John lives in Canada. I live in the US. A US resident is going to be a much easier target than a Canadian resident/citizen.
Its funny how thats almost three times the population of my country