Go Back   gprime.net boards > general > general ramblings

general ramblings talk about anything and everything. get to know other members

Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Scotty
Godly.

Default How far you came?

Since Gprime is *cough* dead, however a long standing site I was just wondering since you stumbled onto this site how far you've come in your life? :D It's kinda like a little nostalgic post. I'm not sure if I've made this post before, but I thought about it - might have been too lazy to actually post.

So, with me I was 13 when I found Gprime, through ABS. Specifically the 'Banana Phone' flash. I then trolled Gprime all the way through highschool while in IT class and met some interesting people including: *Tries hard to remember names* BlackIce? Uhm, something about a Tree, AllGirlsArePrincesses (not sure what she is now :D) Isharted, Ryu and ofc John. I apologise if my old memory aint what it used to be.

Now I'm almost 23 and at University studying Tourism and working towards accomplishing my goal of moving out of the damned UK :D - Hopefully working for a year in America shortly. Don't really come on here any more as people take a while to make posts and I'm impatient But love to hop on once in a while and see how it's changed and how people are.

So, what about you guys? I know there's still some long-standing members still here :D

Also if you miss me my skype is Scottyp89, it's my main method of contact other than Facebook these days :) ciao~
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
rtruskey
g-user

Tournaments Won: 1

Lets see, I believe I was thirteen as well when I discovered this site. I made my protoman account and ROFLTROLLED everybody on the board. And I kept making accounts and doing the same shit. I think I did it like six or seven times. Anyway, I'm now 18 and come to this site once or twice a week to see if it'll miraculously change back into the golden site it used to be four years ago.
rtruskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

I remember joining when I was about 15 years old. I do remember that I joined because my friend asked me to post a video of him passing out on this website but I ended up being unable because the website would not allow me to upload a video that was that size. I'm going to university in California now and I will say a lot has changed since I joined gPrime.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

I joined when I got my laptop in the ninth grade so I was about fourteen. I found this place when looking for "trippy pictures" and one of the posts on the main site showed up. I browsed the videos and games and after a bit, I joined the forum. I forgot my password and made a new account. That was in 2005.
I got some of my writing published in 2006 and 2007 as part of a writing camp and I really think Gprime helped out a lot. This place made me smarter somehow. I think it was that I only stuck on the debate forum for a while. I respected Napalm and liked him as a mod. I moved onto the general boards and really fell in love with the place.
As I got older and made more friends, I stopped visiting as much but I was still pretty active until 2008 I think. Maybe 2009. I even posted updates to the main site for a little while.
I discovered some really neat people here and even if I don't visit too often, I always think of it like a home for some reason.
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Frank
G-dictator

Well, when I came on here, most people remember that I was pretty much a religious fanatic troll. That was back in 2006. Since then, I've learned how to play guitar, learned how to write music, became a dance teacher, formed a rock band, went to school in california for a year and now here I am.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
NartFOpc
is good at stuff

Got my annual birthday email, so I thought I'd stop by :)

Back in highschool, so probably when I was 15, gprime was the go-to place to play flash games during class. After it got blocked everyone moved on to other sites but for whatever reason I joined the forums and stuck around. Then every thread started looking like I was on /b/ so I left and never looked back (except for that one time back in 09). Now I'm studying Electrical Engineering at the University of Rhode Island, with 1 semester left to go. Since this place is clearly no longer like /b/, maybe I'll add it back to my bookmarks and stick around for a while (although I don't think I was ever particularly popular).
NartFOpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Supa Fool
Band

Tournaments Won: 2

First saw the site in 5th grade when a friend showed me a funny flash game. I did not return until 7th grade, when I stumbled on it again and decided to look into the site further. When I joined I was stupid, ignorant and new to the interactive side of the internet. While gprime did not teach me much about the internet as a whole, it was a helpful first step to places likes reddit, 4chan, etc. I first joined in 7th grade because I didn't have many friends and wanted to talk to other people, but as the years went on I just started being a troll because I grew out of the shyness.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Snow
19th President

I started going on Gprime when my family got its first desktop computer when I was in sixth grade. My friends used to love all the videos and games on the site and then after a year or so I decided to join the forum as Fantastic1 (later Pink_Floyd and now Snow). I was really fascinated with the internet and the ability to connect with so many people you would normally never see. After spending my whole life in suburbia it was like a window to the rest of the world. I'm still amazed by the sheer enormity of the internet.

Anyway, I remember being probably the youngest person on here for a while, so it was kinda cool being able to participate in discussions with older kids when I was just 13, even though I was an idiot and had nothing productive to say. I thought Led_Zeppelin, Heyyou27, and God were so funny. I remember liking you more than most NartFOpc. RazerMurdoch and Zetex I also liked a lot. There are plenty of others whose handles escape me right now. I hated Boong. In a weird way this site (along with the internet in general) really expanded my world-view and helped me mature. Like ClayFox said I get a strange "home" vibe being on this site, most likely since it was the first website I frequented.

Now I'm in my second semester at the University of Rochester. Still unsure of my major but I've narrowed it down to a few. I really do wish Gprime was still active, even if just for nostalgia. It was bound to happen after John stopped updating and we all grew up, but it's still a shame to see it go.

Last edited by Snow; 01-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
I started going on Gprime when my family got its first desktop computer when I was in sixth grade. My friends used to love all the videos and games on the site and then after a year or so I decided to join the forum as Fantastic1 (later Pink_Floyd and now Snow). I was really fascinated with the internet and the ability to connect with so many people you would normally never see. After spending my whole life in suburbia it was like a window to the rest of the world. I'm still amazed by the sheer enormity of the internet.

Anyway, I remember being probably the youngest person on here for a while, so it was kinda cool being able to participate in discussions with older kids when I was just 13, even though I was an idiot and had nothing productive to say. I thought Led_Zeppelin, Heyyou27, and God were so funny. I remember liking you more than most NartFOpc. RazerMurdoch and Zetex I also liked a lot. There are plenty of others whose handles escape me right now. I hated Boong. In a weird way this site (along with the internet in general) really expanded my world-view and helped me mature. Like ClayFox said I get a strange "home" vibe being on this site, most likely since it was the first website I frequented.

Now I'm in my second semester at the University of Rochester. Still unsure of my major but I've narrowed it down to a few. I really do wish Gprime was still active, even if just for nostalgia. It was bound to happen after John stopped updating and we all grew up, but it's still a shame to see it go.
I remember when you were called Fantastic1

there are better internet communities than gprime which is why i rarely post here.
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
rahx
Brave Warrior GaoGaiGar

Well, shit. If Scotty found it when he was 13, then it must have been the same for me.. because I remember him from waaay back.

I just graduated with Bioengineering at UC Santa Cruz and now looking for a job. I'm a lot smarter than I was back then, because when I think about myself back then I just see a dumbass.
rahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

You guys, I want you to know how fucking cool I think you all are. I really mean that. We've all done some major growing since we joined, some of it on here, and we're still going and still remember Gprime.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Snow
19th President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou27 View Post
I remember when you were called Fantastic1

there are better internet communities than gprime which is why i rarely post here.
Someone's sentimental!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Someone's sentimental!
Not really sentimental, I just remember you had an exclamation point as your avatar, other than that I don't really remember you much before the name change.
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

I didn't know Snow was Pink_Floyd and now I feel silly.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

G-prime was definitely a life changer for me. I think these forums did a great deal on shaping my habit of keeping to good grammar on online forums and other websites. By doing so, it's good for me because now that I'm in college I no longer have to face the embarrassment of being 'that guy' who makes stupid grammar mistakes. Definitely also changed the way I look at things from when I began here.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Snow
19th President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou27 View Post
Not really sentimental, I just remember you had an exclamation point as your avatar, other than that I don't really remember you much before the name change.
I was referring to you saying "there are better internet communities than gprime which is why i rarely post here." while everyone else is talking about how gprime changed their lives and helped them find Jesus.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Bezebras.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
rtruskey
g-user

Anyone for Pinochle?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Explain what that is first.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
Brain Licker
Part of Trump Corp.

I remember there were one or two upgrades/updates to the forum which required a rejoin and so my membership here is actually longer than what the profile states. But yeah, back then I was sure I'd be heading into aviation, and in a sense I am, but I'm also more keen now on photography - something I never saw coming. The flying and photo-taking have provided a small income for now whilst I'm in education.

So now, I'm at university studying business, although I always thought I'd do an engineering degree and was eyeing up an aerospace eng course - but alas, it wasn't to be. Still keen on Photoshop but mainly for the photo editing side of things rather than the 3D graphics that I could produce in it and 3DS Max.

I often look back on my time here as a massive learning experience. Meeting new people from across the world, all the while sitting in my bedroom and listening to awful music. Learning internet languages of the time (early 2000 and something speak). That and a few other things is what makes this a sort of stomping ground for my early internet days and I love coming back here for the nostalgia. Although at times it's like coming home and remembering all your mates have pissed of to uni/college/different countries and won't be coming back for a while or ever.

There's a part of me that longs the days of yonder where the forum was alive with a buzz of different folk. The other part is quite glad that this place is unique and that some of the core members keep the lights on at night and dust the place up every once in a while like some ancient house.

For anyone 'across the pond', I'm planning on possibly travelling to Canada over the summer months - specifically Vancouver, maybe head over to near Montreal and end up in dans le US in Pennsylvania at a friend's college there. So if any of you would like to have a small get together, meet up or even host for a night or two, I'd be more than grateful. So please, get in touch!

Anyway, bollocks to the nostalgia. Here's a shameless plug for my photography page. Slowly developing an actual site.
http://www.facebook.com/Gavin-Craigie-Photography

Last edited by Brain Licker; 01-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Brain Licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow

Tournaments Won: 2

Dude I have a hardcore boner for Gprime and I always will, that's that.

I joined back in like 7th or 8th grade after stalking the boards for awhile after initially being led to the site through ABS. I was and forever will be metal candycane, the member of questionable gender and phallic username. I suppose I've grown as a person, though I feel as if I've just become more corrupted and confused about where I'm going, but I know that's normal.

I met some of my favorite people on here that I talk to often, some nearly daily. I feel like many of you have grown up with me in a way most people don't get to, and thus have a certain core understanding of me and each other that really makes me fond of you all.

This summer I'm debating taking a month and just basically gprime roadtripping, specifically to Boca, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Georgia. *shrugs* I sometimes feel a bit dumb for being so continually attached to you people, but I can't help but love you punks.

Also if you guys wanna show some love, my AIM is SomaybeIamcrazy and my skype is unicornbob.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
Scotty
Godly.

Well hell if you can wait till around June/July I may be in Texas as I have my year long work placement and I'm using it to visit a close friend too. :D Be there for around 40+ weeks though so I'll be around ;D
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #23
Firedove
One of Those Deaf-Mutes

Wow. Yeah so this was like the very first forum I ever joined way back when I first started internetting roughly 10 years ago. Found it by searching forum in Google as I recall. Got in on the ground floor too and then I went away for a while and came back to post the stupid shit a 13 year old or so would post. Then when it jumped to a new forum I trolled around a bit and acted like an asshole. Now I check every couple of months or so for no reason whatsoever like right now. 21 and looking back sort of fondly, kind of, not so much.

Last edited by Firedove; 02-10-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Firedove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #24
rtruskey
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylittleClayFox View Post
Explain what that is first.
A card game for two or more players using a 48-card deck consisting of two of each card from nine to ace, the object being to score points for various combinations and to win tricks.

Also this always irked me. The hell does the "G" stand for in G-Prime anyway?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #25
Nicky
g-user

I joined when I was in seventh grade (about 12 or 13), after learning about the song "O Fortuna" in my chorus class. I googled the song later and came across a flash video made to it here, and eventually joined the boards. I've gone through many phases, all while being massively argumentative, thinking that having a gargantuan incoherent wall of text equated to being good at debating.

This isn't the first or last forum I've joined, but it is my favorite out of all of them. Where others are fan forums or special interest forums, this place is somewhere to talk about anything and act however the hell you want with the same handful of people the whole time.

Over the years I've come to have a sense of humor about things and take it easy more than I used to, and know how to more accurately communicate my true emotions in written form instead of just typing away and then posting without thinking.

As everyone else says, this place has provided a lot of laughs and fun memories for me. Maybe I'll even show the archives to my kids someday.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote