Go Back   gprime.net boards > general > general ramblings

general ramblings talk about anything and everything. get to know other members

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #51
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!
 

Default

I agree...our internet dark age is definitely going to come. This will be a 'silent' dark age though seeing as how our media seems ignorant about the internet.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #52
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Social Media is another story though. Maybe that'll come to a standstill.

Oh god, I hope so.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #53
Nicky
g-user
 

Default

Me too.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #54
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Improvement to music, movies, etc. starts with cutting down on piracy. Seems like the only people not pirating music are little kids who aren't yet aware of it.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #55
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!
 

Default

Well...I suppose improvement to those parts will start with cutting down on piracy. However, at the same time there are people with somewhat legitimate views who support this. By 'supporting', I mean that the said people will support by hacking or using their skills with computers to push the movies, music, and etc. as freely as they possibly can to others. That is based on the fact that they are strong proponents of open sourcing and net neutrality. Thus, their acts of taking that media and distributing it for free is one way of putting that message out there. Now I don't support what they do necessarily but it's necessary to see why they do it before one goes on to shoot them down as petty thieves or cyber criminals. Also, I'm in agreement that we should try to avoid getting things the 'free way' so it helps maintain the 'money' flowing within the industry of networking and computers.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #56
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

That concept is counterintuitive. By making piracy the norm, they are actually reducing large-scale spread of ideas they support by cutting off funds from bands with financial struggles. I've never seen so many bands give in to mainstream sounds just to make more money than I have this year and 2010.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #57
herpes
g-user
 

Default

I disagree. Pirating spreads the artists' names much, much more than any other form of advertising. The blame lies on the record companies for not embracing the internet back when Napster came out. But really I don't care; bands are way overpaid for what they do anyway and to tantrum when they're only getting hundreds of thousands instead of millions of dollars is silly.
Who cares if a band changes its style to make money? It's just noises. Enjoy the sounds you like and don't tie them to a name.
herpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #58
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Sorry, but there are thousands of bands in anything but the upper tier of the music industry who tour with money from their own pocket, and scrape together some more to get by so that they can do what they and their fans love. To say they're being overpaid to "do what they do" is saying they don't deserve to make a living bringing you the shit you enjoy.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #59
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpes View Post
I disagree. Pirating spreads the artists' names much, much more than any other form of advertising. The blame lies on the record companies for not embracing the internet back when Napster came out. But really I don't care; bands are way overpaid for what they do anyway and to tantrum when they're only getting hundreds of thousands instead of millions of dollars is silly.
Who cares if a band changes its style to make money? It's just noises. Enjoy the sounds you like and don't tie them to a name.
Sure, it spreads their name around, but to who? Other piraters (is that a word?) That's why bands rely so much on concert money rather than making new music nowadays.

I don't care if already-big-time bands lose some money, I'm talking about musicians that have just started from scratch.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #60
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Fool View Post
That concept is counterintuitive. By making piracy the norm, they are actually reducing large-scale spread of ideas they support by cutting off funds from bands with financial struggles. I've never seen so many bands give in to mainstream sounds just to make more money than I have this year and 2010.
I know...and the idea they fight for is a 'utopia' that may never occur. Yet they have these "ideas" they're fighting for(in a sense). I'm pretty sure we run into plenty of other bastards with similar...'justifications' that we should give the same criticism to.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #61
herpes
g-user
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Fool View Post
Sure, it spreads their name around, but to who? Other piraters (is that a word?) That's why bands rely so much on concert money rather than making new music nowadays.

I don't care if already-big-time bands lose some money, I'm talking about musicians that have just started from scratch.
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree. New bands have never made their profits from CD sales. Their money has always come from their live shows and if their music finds its way onto the internet for people to download then I see that as free advertising and publicity for them. It's much easier to share songs now due to piracy than it was before. The community of 'moral' pirates that will donate to the bands directly after finding and enjoying the music on torrent sites is large enough that bands still get some money out of piracy.
Piracy is a way for bands to spread from the local scene to the national and international scene. It doesn't matter if they've never sold a CD in their life, if a record company sees how many fans they have and sees potential in their music then they will get signed and they will get to tour all over the world, making tons from ticket sales.
Also, there have been a few studies that show no correlation between piracy and a decline in CD sales. However, if you look at things like iTunes and the Amazon music store you'll see that bands are actually selling more today than they did in the past.
Also, I'm willing to bet that there are more bands today than there were in the 90s thanks to the internet. Many artists do not care about profits and will share their music for free and accept any donations given to them. See: Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead. The more electronic forms of music such as dubstep and trance are also getting big thanks to the internet and free sharing.

In short: my view is that a band can find its way to fame much quicker and easier now than they could back in the 90s due to piracy.
herpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #62
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Your points are valid, but the spread of ideas through piracy have clearly caused unintended effects. iTunes and Amazon may be selling more, but the music that is selling is TERRIBLE. Even people that enjoy listening to it tell me it is empty, thoughtless music. Sure music is still selling, but the decline in thoughtful music in the mainstream is an intangible and immeasurable cost of the movement.

Also, I read some of the study and the results are not what I expected. However, I'd like to see if the increase in CD purchases is the same for every genre, because I have a feeling rap would lag behind other genres.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #63
herpes
g-user
 

Default

I’m not very sure what you’re upset with has any relevance to music piracy. The music that you and I think is terrible is selling more than other genres because other people like it, not because piracy is stamping out their competition. Pop music is cheap to produce and fashionable so the record industry is going to promote it more than any other genre. Piracy doesn’t really factor into the equation here. Rock music is, unfortunately, not as popular anymore and it wouldn’t be selling as well as what is mainstream now whether or not piracy existed.


However, I still hold my belief that the less famous bands out there today are still benefiting wildly from piracy. You’d have probably never heard of a lot of bands like Rise Against if the internet didn’t exist. They’d have remained a local band forever because no record company is really going to take a gamble on signing a band that they know won’t get as popular as a pretty face ran through autotune. Even if the internet existed and piracy did not, I kind of doubt they’d have gotten popular because the only way to share that song with someone outside of your town would be to make them pay for it and why would they when they couldn’t get a high quality sample first?


Piracy very well may have killed some sales but I’m sure all of that and then some is made up by the free publicity the internet gives bands.
herpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #64
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!
 

Default

What was the point of creating the Internet if you can't share EVERYTHING.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #65
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpes View Post
I’m not very sure what you’re upset with has any relevance to music piracy. The music that you and I think is terrible is selling more than other genres because other people like it, not because piracy is stamping out their competition. Pop music is cheap to produce and fashionable so the record industry is going to promote it more than any other genre. Piracy doesn’t really factor into the equation here. Rock music is, unfortunately, not as popular anymore and it wouldn’t be selling as well as what is mainstream now whether or not piracy existed.


However, I still hold my belief that the less famous bands out there today are still benefiting wildly from piracy. You’d have probably never heard of a lot of bands like Rise Against if the internet didn’t exist. They’d have remained a local band forever because no record company is really going to take a gamble on signing a band that they know won’t get as popular as a pretty face ran through autotune. Even if the internet existed and piracy did not, I kind of doubt they’d have gotten popular because the only way to share that song with someone outside of your town would be to make them pay for it and why would they when they couldn’t get a high quality sample first?


Piracy very well may have killed some sales but I’m sure all of that and then some is made up by the free publicity the internet gives bands.
Piracy certainly plays a role in the rise of pop music. It's about demographics - pop music appeals to those who download illegally the least, kids who haven't yet been exposed to piracy.

So what if piracy gave more access to one band? If they hadn't gotten access, another band surely would gain access instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
What was the point of creating the Internet if you can't share EVERYTHING.
Wow. Your idiocy never ceases to amaze me.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #66
herpes
g-user
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Fool View Post
Piracy certainly plays a role in the rise of pop music. It's about demographics - pop music appeals to those who download illegally the least, kids who haven't yet been exposed to piracy.

So what if piracy gave more access to one band? If they hadn't gotten access, another band surely would gain access instead.
I don't think so. The top 100 music torrents on TPB right now are almost all pop music.
I think it's time to part ways agreeing to disagree as this conversation is not going to move forward anymore.
herpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #67
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Fool View Post
Wow. Your idiocy never ceases to amaze me.
That's what I'm here for, bro.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #68
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Try to defend your statement seriously, because clearly the humor approach isn't working for you.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #69
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Fool View Post
Try to defend your statement seriously, because clearly the humor approach isn't working for you.
I'm sorry, I ran out of clear, witty statements a long time ago. My usual thing is to fall back on humor when all else fails.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #70
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
What was the point of creating the Internet if you can't share EVERYTHING.
There's more to the internet than just 'sharing'.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #71
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Shinobi View Post
There's more to the internet than just 'sharing'.
Is there? When it comes right down to it, all we are doing is sharing,
ie; your opinion on my stupidity/ pirates sharing -insert your poison-/ posting anything in general.

Even just browsing, you're sharing your interest in whatever you are looking at.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #72
Supa Fool
Band
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

What about online stores and e-business? Business transactions aren't exactly "sharing".
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #73
FOGMS
g-user
 

Default

Back to the original topic, why not embrace social media and add in some new features to bring in new members? If you have a big enough flag spam button, the mods job will be made easier by only having to get rid of new spam flagged posts.
As far as social media a lot of forums integrate with facebook and twitter so when you take actions they can show up in users feeds (optionally of course) and those users friends may take a look at gprime and then join. The power of social is a strong one.
FOGMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #74
mytony
g-user
 

Default

Welcome new members.
mytony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #75
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Pah, updating Gprime.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koolest members (in this semi-shithole of a website) Snow lots o' nonsense 85 08-15-2008 10:48 PM
AVP2 online members clans etc. feed1 PC 6 05-17-2006 04:44 AM
Gprime members using invisible mode Heyyou27 general ramblings 27 05-09-2006 06:23 PM
We need members so join now! SteelRocket Other 2 12-04-2005 03:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2005-2007 Gprime.Net