Go Back   gprime.net boards > general > lots o' nonsense

lots o' nonsense the place for certain "creative activities" that clutter up the above forum

Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Nicky
g-user

Default What books have you read lately?

Right now I'm on book 2 of the Chaos Walking trilogy. Before these books I read this God awful book called The Forest of Hands and Teeth, which is basically Twilight with zombies- only worse. I think that one's going to be a trilogy too, but I won't bother venturing further into that series.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Tournaments Won: 2

Mainly course texts. I don't really have time for leisure reading.

But Twilight with zombies? That sounds like it would be at least a small improvement. Unless the zombies sparkle.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Tournaments Won: 4

Idoru by William Gibson. Not as good as Neuromancer. Currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, who I believe is the guy who wrote No Country For Old Men.
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

I don't really do a lot of reading. I'm kinda skimming through the Azumanga Daioh Omnibus (manga) when I have short bits of time on my hands, but that's all right now.
Ryu-Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

The Riddle-Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, and Harpist in the Wind. The Riddle-Master Trilogy is one of my favorites and I recommend it as a read. The author is Patricia A. McKillip. I'm supposed to be Wuthering Heights right now but I have this thing about English novels.
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Nicky
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeo View Post
Mainly course texts. I don't really have time for leisure reading.

But Twilight with zombies? That sounds like it would be at least a small improvement. Unless the zombies sparkle.
They might as well have. It's not overly hormonal like Twilight, but like Twilight, it focuses way more on the ramblings of an angsty teenager than the actual plot itself. There isn't human/zombie romance though, if that's what you're wondering.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
There isn't human/zombie romance though, if that's what you're wondering.
Human-zombie romance?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

I recently finished reading 1984, it was a pretty good book.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Shinobi View Post
I recently finished reading 1984, it was a pretty good book.
Welcome to 1949.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow

Fight Club, I just had to compare. I appreciate the differences in feel from book to movie.
Rules of Survival, which was a good book about child abuse to read in a sitting consisting of a couple of hours.
Nervous Conditions and its sequel: The Book of Not, by Tsi Tsi Dengaremba, which was for class but I actually really enjoyed, and I chose to read the sequel. Coming of age during British imperialism in Africa blah blah blah.
Other than that I really haven't given reading a good sit down to figure out what I actually want to read lately. I'm starting Jailbird by Vonnegut today.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

I miss the old days, when I was retarded. Wait, no I don't.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

I picked up and read through Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody. I found it very funny, and quite informative. For example, one of the later chapters goes into discussion about EATR, a combat robot that is designed to run on energy it gets from ingesting biomass, which means any sort of vegetation, insects, and potentially human corpses it can find.

Last edited by Dudeo; 04-12-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Nicky
g-user

In my Composition class, for the last book we're reading this year we get to choose between six books. Fast Food Nation, 1984, and The Road are the ones I'm most tempted to read. I think I might read Fast Food Nation, but the infallible words of Drunken_Shinobi are making me re-think my book choice.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #14
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTal CaNdYcaNe View Post
Fight Club, I just had to compare. I appreciate the differences in feel from book to movie.
Rules of Survival, which was a good book about child abuse to read in a sitting consisting of a couple of hours.
Nervous Conditions and its sequel: The Book of Not, by Tsi Tsi Dengaremba, which was for class but I actually really enjoyed, and I chose to read the sequel. Coming of age during British imperialism in Africa blah blah blah.
Other than that I really haven't given reading a good sit down to figure out what I actually want to read lately. I'm starting Jailbird by Vonnegut today.
i love Vonnegut. haven't read jailbird though. how is it and whats it about?
gussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
Nicky
g-user

I'm finally getting into Harry Potter. I'm pretty much the last human alive who hasn't read them yet, but I'm trying to get through all of them before Deathly Hollows comes out in theaters so I can watch all of the movies too. I only have three books left so it shouldn't take too long as they're completely enthralling anyway.

I also have another book that I picked up about a week ago called Mordant's Need (1): The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen Donaldson and so far it's freaking awesome. It's basically about people who can summon images from mirrors that, instead of showing the reflection of the person looking into it, become windows to other worlds (very very basic description). After that I plan on getting back into the Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo, as I remember really enjoying those books a few years ago.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a couple weeks ago and finished The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman about a week ago. I think I'll read The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam next since it's short and I want to read some more poetry. I also sampled some Frank O'Hara at the bookstore a while ago and really liked his poetry.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
Krusty_The_Klown
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I'm finally getting into Harry Potter. I'm pretty much the last human alive who hasn't read them yet, but I'm trying to get through all of them before Deathly Hollows comes out in theaters so I can watch all of the movies too. I only have three books left so it shouldn't take too long as they're completely enthralling anyway.
Oh, and I thought I was alone. I still haven't gotten around to reading the HP series. Ironically, I had the preconceived notion that Harry Potter was for 'dorks' when I was really young; quite embarrassing now that I think of it >_>
Krusty_The_Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

As something of a dork, I would like to confirm this notion of embarrassment.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #19
Nicky
g-user

I was that way with Naruto. Then once I finally started reading Naruto and HP I realized why they have such a huge following. Bleach, on the other hand, I still don't get... but I only got to chapter 60 with that one so I'm sure I'm missing the good parts right now, especially since OneManga and similar sites are being shut down.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Quote:
Don't forget to read The Tales of Beedle The Bard.

Quote:
I also have another book that I picked up about a week ago called Mordant's Need (1): The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen Donaldson and so far it's freaking awesome. It's basically about people who can summon images from mirrors that, instead of showing the reflection of the person looking into it, become windows to other worlds (very very basic description). After that I plan on getting back into the Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo, as I remember really enjoying those books a few years ago.
I agree Stephen R. Donaldson has some good stuff. I couldn't get into Thomas Covenant and gave up not too far in, but I loved his short stories.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Nitz
//wall blocks control

I recently read the Percy Jackson series. It was a bit "kiddie," but it was still a lot of fun to read. Went fast and was hard to put down. It also renewed my interest in learning about Greek mythology.

I'm currently reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's funny but too long imho.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #23
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

I still haven't read any books since this thread. Am I a bad person?
Ryu-Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #24
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Well, at least you haven't read Atlas Shrugged...
Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
blackice
Administrator

Default Re: What books have you read lately?

The Pupprt Masters - Robert Heinlein
blackice is offline   Reply With Quote