Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > General game discussion > Sony

Sony Discussion of Sony console gaming products

Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Default My PS3 broke again

I attempted to power on the system and was greeted with a blinking red light. My console is out of warranty so it will cost me $150 to have Sony repair it, which will be a waste of fucking money, as the console will likely break again after a year.

My best bet is to buy a Slim to replace my fatty, but it is currently near-impossible to find them in stores. It seems like they might be phasing out the 120GB Slim SKU, in favor of some sort of upgrade. (possibly HDMI 1.4)

Hopefully my new console doesn't fail on me again, or I may avoid all Sony products in the future.
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Ouch...well hopefully you find a good deal on one of those new slims and hopefully Sony doesn't fuck you over with a defective one. My friend bought one of those 120 GB slims about 2 months ago and so far he hasn't had any problems with it. Though it has been just 2 months so it has yet to stand that test of time.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Tournaments Won: 4

I remember seeing a lot of threads about how to fix a 360 with lights of death, maybe you can look for a way to try and fix it.
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

He's talking about a PS3 so whatever you say about fixing the red rings on a 360 won't apply here.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Tournaments Won: 2

He's saying that the RROD problem is probably similar in scale and response as this problem, so, since the RROD problem caused such a frenzy of threads about how to fix it, there should be a similar threads on how to fix this problem too. /babelfish

Beyond that, most of the fixes I've seen for the RROD have not been conducive to the overall health of the console, so a replacement is probably the best option.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeo View Post
He's saying that the RROD problem is probably similar in scale and response as this problem, so, since the RROD problem caused such a frenzy of threads about how to fix it, there should be a similar threads on how to fix this problem too. /babelfish
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeo View Post
Beyond that, most of the fixes I've seen for the RROD have not been conducive to the overall health of the console, so a replacement is probably the best option.
Sounds like he's leaning towards buying a new one, in which case he's got nothing to lose by trying to get the one he has working first. That's what I'd do anyway.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz View Post
Sounds like he's leaning towards buying a new one, in which case he's got nothing to lose by trying to get the one he has working first. That's what I'd do anyway.
I've caused more problems for myself following that exact line of logic than you can possibly imagine.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

This morning I went to The Home Depot to purchase a heat gun and a set of Torx screwdrivers. The "reflow" process that is demonstrated in a few YouTube videos worked out quite well. I actually finished the whole job before checking your responses, but I appreciate all of the suggestions. I may still end up buying another console whenever the next revision is available, but that hopefully won't be needed for awhile.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Do I win? Does this mean I win?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Snow
19th President

Have you gotten a chance to play Heavy Rain yet?
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Backflip
Macho Man

Tournaments Won: 3

my ps2 still works with 0 problems.
Backflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Have you gotten a chance to play Heavy Rain yet?
I tried the demo, but I have yet to play the full game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflip View Post
PS2s were notorious for having disc drive issues. My fat PS2 hasn't been able to read discs for years. My original model PS1 also suffers from the same issue.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Backflip
Macho Man

Tournaments Won: 3

i have a fat ps2, i got in 2001 i believe.

i've never had any problems with it.
Backflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:

That's simply luck, and anecdotal evidence. The fact still stands that the PS2 was a fairly unreliable system.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou27 View Post
This morning I went to The Home Depot to purchase a heat gun and a set of Torx screwdrivers. The "reflow" process that is demonstrated in a few YouTube videos worked out quite well. I actually finished the whole job before checking your responses, but I appreciate all of the suggestions. I may still end up buying another console whenever the next revision is available, but that hopefully won't be needed for awhile.
Ah...well it's good you saved your money, the warranty was probably over anyway.
Quote:
No, it means I win.
Quote:

I had one of those and it broke after 3-4 years I think.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Quote:
does i lost?

Quote:
Cue surprise.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Well, my PS3 got the YLOD again. I did the reflow process again and it's still getting the YLOD. Unfortunately I am now out of thermal paste, so I will have to buy more before I can attempt the repair again. I am going to set my heat gun to a higher temperature. Either way though, I'm going to buy a new PS3 as soon as one is available.

Update: I have attempted the reflow process again, and it is still not working. I'm afraid that my fat PS3 is no more. I purchased a PS3 slim today as a replacement, but I am going to wait for my new 500GB hard drive to arrive before I start transferring all of my data.

Last edited by Heyyou27; 03-16-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Forseti
Carny Folk

This seems so familiar to the 360 thread. Perhaps we should make a "My Wii broke again" thread, if everyone would promise not to start with all the sexual puns.
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Oh man...we'd all sure love to go through that again.