Go Back   gprime.net boards > projects and submissions > submissions > Old Unsorted Submissions

Old Unsorted Submissions Forum for old submissions from before we went to the categorized system. Replies allowed to existing threads only. No new threads may be created.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
Jag

Tournaments Won: 1

Default Halo Thumpin

After seeing a bunch of other weird and pointless stuff on here, I thought that this creation was no more pointless than the rest. It was made on Halo CE, a mod/custom version of Halo PC.
I know its huge.
http://www.zim2411.info/halothumpin
Old 05-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Stokes

NICE!

Congratulations! You are the first person to ever make an ENTERTAINING Halo vid since RvB!

And as random and pointless as that was, I actually found it very amusing. Of course, if it weren't for the crazy-awesome graphics, I probably would have hated it!

Last edited by Stokes; 05-13-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Jag

Actually, thats not Halo 2. It's Halo Custom Edition, a standalone "upgrade" from Halo PC. The only feature evident in this video is the ability to detach the camera from the player, making it easier to get video clips. It also has support for complete custom content. Maps, weapons, anything. In theory it could be made identical to Halo 2 anyway.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Stokes

Lol, I'm pretty ignorant!

I was wondering how that worked. You control the player AND the camera? How do the controls work out?

(you people really need to start playing Unreal Tourney. The movie possibilities are endless!)

Oh, and on another note, how did you record video from your comp screen? Is it an added function of Halo CE?

Last edited by Stokes; 05-13-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Jag

I recorded the video from my computer with a small program called Fraps. You can see the watermark at the top of the screen as I did not pay for the full version. Fraps will let you take screen shots, video clips, and displays FPS.

About the camera. You can set the camera anywhere you choose and control the player as you would under normal conditions, you just only see what the camera sees. So yes, you can control the camera and the player at the same time, or if you are on a LAN you could film another player. The devmode (camera functions) can only be used on a LAN, not internet, game.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
Mr.Domino

Well, just so I don't sound like a complete jackass, I'll start with the good. I really liked how you kept it at such a high quality, it made it really pleasing to look at. And the camera angles and whatnot were done well, as was the editing. It was well made. But, as for the actual content of the video, I can't speak so highly. I really didn't find it that entertaining...in fact, I didn't really find it much of anything. What exactly were you trying to go for? The most I can really see this as is a software test video, you just trying to get a feel for the program. Anyway, don't get discouraged, keep making them. Just make them go somewhere. I felt like I was just watching some kid running around the map. Just be a little more creative, or something, and you'll be turning out great movies in no time.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Stokes

^Yeah, what he said. Make a plot, or dialogue, or at least put lots of sweet explosions or something.

So where can I download this recording program? I'd like to try it out. Sounds cool.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
Jag

Yeah, pretty much. I'm working on another one now with what you would call a "plot" or "story".

Stokes, you can get fraps at http://www.fraps.com/ . With the free version you can only make 30 second video clips but that is almost always more than enough. You can always just tap the film button quickly and start a new clip to extend the time.

Last edited by Jag; 05-13-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
Stokes

Wow, thanx Jag!

Not to nitpick, but you're probably the tenth person to misspell my username (no "r")
Old 05-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Jag

Oh, I apologize, I did not look close enough. Sorry!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #11
Stokes

So I got the program and I'm using it in Unreal Tourney. It's looking pretty sweet. It seems like the game is slowing down when I record, though.

Got any reccomended settings or anything? 30fps good?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
Jag

30fps is probably good, you probably would not be able to tell if you went down a little. The game will slow down when you start filming, not only is the computer having to render each frame but now it also has to save it as well.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:05 AM   #13
SteelRocket

hey jag does that axauiliary connection is that something you have to buy (red vs blue) is that something you buy or download
Old 05-14-2005, 04:52 AM   #14
isharted
g-minion

the beginning was really good, but it kind of made me expect more from the rest of the video
isharted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #15
Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRocket
hey jag does that axauiliary connection is that something you have to buy (red vs blue) is that something you buy or download
Do I gather that you want to know what I recorded the video with and how to get it? Well, you could read the first few posts between me and Stokes. You could also visit www.fraps.com and get the program there.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #16
Stokes

^no, Rocket thinks you recorded this from Halo 2 using auxilary connection, which is false. Jag recorded this from Halo CE, which is a computer game, not an XBox game. I will now explain how auxilary connection works and records between an XBox and a computer:

First off, when I say "auxilary connection," I'm referring to the red, white, and yellow-colored connectors that connect your XBox to your TV. There are certain video cards and computer expansions that can extract audio and video from auxilary connection. This often comes bundled with SVideo and Cable-extracting capabilities.

So yeah, it costs money, unless you already have it. Check the back of your PC for red white and yellow sockets.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
Jag

OK, I assumed Rocket had read the posts in the thread he was replying to. I guess not.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #18
Jerr

Where do I download the detachable camera? Or how do I activate it?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Jag

Read the above posts.

www.fraps.com
Old 06-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #20
DarkOne99

first of all...how dare you...i figured out how to get no HUD on halo 2 so my movies will be better...and second of all...if u think thats better than Good vs evil you have no brain
Old 06-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #21
Jag

How dare me? I never once said it was better than red versus blue. Not once. Secondly, thats not Halo 2, its Halo PC.

Yes, I think that it is better than good versus evil because I made it and like it. I am able to understand your critisism from the shallow point that it originates.

Last edited by Jag; 06-15-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #22
DarkOne99

i knew it was halo pc $^*ker! i cant believe u think thats better than my movies...wow. wait till my "baby got back" video comes out
Old 06-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #23
Jag

I said it was Halo PC in the first post...
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #24
Stokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOne99
i knew it was halo pc $^*ker! i cant believe u think thats better than my movies...wow. wait till my "baby got back" video comes out
He never said it was better than your movies.
I also never said it was better than your movies.
I just said that I have yet to see an entertaining halo vid on this website, and I had never heard of "good vs evil" until about 5 minutes ago. I watched it. It's better (sort of). Happy now?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:56 AM   #25
T

Question How do you get the camera away from the player?

How do you get the camera angle away from the player? So you can film the players and not have all the like gun cursors and stuff and all of your health bars and stuff? well please someone tell me. Thanx.