Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default Standard of Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriustar View Post
Dudeo: sound is sound. Putting sounds together and/or looking at sounds in more than a superficial way is music, just like paint is the precursor to paintings. Q.E.D.
Sound isn't music. But sound can be an art.

First, paintings aren't the only type of visual art, you realize. It's the same with music. Music is both a sound art and a performing art, but it isn't the only media for either type of art. Arranged sounds don't all fall in the category of music; Sound effects are a good example of this; sounds are arranged to convey a complex noise, and they don't fall under the category of music. However, they are still art. Music is a specific standard of sound arts, in much the same way painting is a specific standard of the visual arts.

Also, paint is completely different from sound. Paint and brushes are tools to create a work of art (although they can themselves become art). In music, the equivalent is instruments, equalizers, etc. Light is the equivalent of Sound in your analogy. Light, in the way we sense it, is a conveyance of sense. The arrangement of light is what makes a work of visual art. It's not art if the "image" doesn't reach our mind. The same holds true for sound. Anything you perceive can can be an example of art. Art, by the definition commonly used, is only a human standard for the arrangement of our perceptions. In fact, a person with open standards would be hard-pressed to find something they perceive that they don't consider art.

The only things which cannot be art are the unperceived and the unimagined.

Last edited by Dudeo; 05-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Willy_Wonka
shit
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

string theory is art
Willy_Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
diet poop
I'm a unicorn!
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeo View Post
Sound isn't music. But sound can be an art.
True true.
diet poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Nitz
//wall blocks control
 
Tournaments Won: 4

Default

lol semantics
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
MrNaPaLm32
Banned
 

Default

I went to an "electronic music" concert at my university for the class that they have there hoping it would be something half-enjoyable, but It just ended up being synthesized noise. Its pretty hard to explain, but It made you feel like you were being abducted.

And in response to the first line, I disagree. Music is the art of sound, so if something isn't music, it can't really be art.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
diet poop
I'm a unicorn!
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
And in response to the first line, I disagree. Music is the art of sound, so if something isn't music, it can't really be art.
I disagree with your disagreement.
The Best.
diet poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
And in response to the first line, I disagree. Music is the art of sound, so if something isn't music, it can't really be art.
Music is not the only art of sound. It is in fact the one performing art of sound. And again, whose standards do we go by when defining what is music and what is art? Tell me, gprime.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
MrNaPaLm32
Banned
 

Default

I see this is futile.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
I see this is futile.
"Futile" from whose perspective? A local or global one? Is futility an art form? Is the sky purple? Is the moon made of cheese? Can you cunduct an argument that isn't based on perspective? That isn't the point, however. I simply wish to state that sound is an art. I believe I have succeeded.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
diet poop
I'm a unicorn!
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
I see this is futile.
Debating about art is futile?
diet poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Nitz
//wall blocks control
 
Tournaments Won: 4

Default

Maybe, maybe not. What exactly is "debating?"
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
diet poop
I'm a unicorn!
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz View Post
Maybe, maybe not. What exactly is "debating?"
What is "is"?
diet poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Nitz
//wall blocks control
 
Tournaments Won: 4

Default

exactly.
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your Ragnarok Online servers here Gryffinheart PC 435 07-28-2012 09:55 AM
Standard of Beauty Nicky debating 158 05-16-2008 06:07 PM
The standard reply thread. paranoia lots o' nonsense 26 06-09-2006 10:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2005-2007 Gprime.Net