Go Back   gprime.net boards > projects and submissions > ask an expert

ask an expert stuck on your flash movie? can't get your program to work? ask an expert!

Old 10-15-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Ilikepandas

Tournaments Won: 1

Default I need serious help with this- no crappy amateurs- major actionscript skill needed...

Okay, does anyone on this forum know how I can modify a movieclip's depth while playing a movie? What I mean is....

When a character in a game walks above another movieclip, he goes behind it.

When a character goes below of another movieclip he goes in front of it.

Because my actionscript is self taught, I usually find messy ways to overcome problems like these. I have managed to make this depth problem work for still objects but what I need is this to work for moving characters, which I have not found a good way to work. I know there is this swapDepth() thing but that doesn't seem to work very well in this situaion.

Anyone have any ideas? OR maybe a site that can help me here?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
VooDoo

No offense panda i have no idea what your talking about, and yes i do understand actionscript before you say thats the reason you don't understand then.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Ilikepandas

Hmmm.. I was hoping you would know something because you're the best actionscripter on this forum from what i can see. I think I just didn't explain it very well. My apologies.
What my problem is (More technically):

Okay say theres a game and you can walk around.

When a guys _y value is higher than another objects in a movie, he goes behind it.

When his _y value is less than that of the object, he goes in front.
Therefore this would be achieving a 3d effect similar to that of 2d beatemup kind of games.

Now one solution might be to program a depth axis (z) and add this value to the _y value of objects so the higher an object is, the less _z value he has which would make objects with a larger _z value have a greater depth, making it go in front (Maybe using the swapDepth() command or maybe by changing the value of a movieclip). But I don't know how to do that.

Im not sure if this may be any less confusing than my last post, but its in more detail of what I want anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Help.JPG (11.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Charles rules you all!
My kitty

The only way I do it is layering...I think you should try this...
Charles rules you all! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
VooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles rules you all!
The only way I do it is layering...I think you should try this...

He already knows how to do that but that could always be a way if you think of more creative layering, but i think he's looking for a sort of more mario 3 technique (e.g heres mario if your on level 3 and hold the down button for 5 secs on an object you fall behind the object and your then allowed to run the whole of the level behind the obstacles). I haven't come across that problem through my own curiosity but give a tick and i'll have an answer soon enough,

I could have it, when your little character mc crosses another mc that it tells it like a hit test to jump frame and go to a replica of your game where the layers are all changed it's sound's a bit complicated but it isn't really 6 layers max if you wanna do it that way.

I think this script that i wrote out would would work but i might probably have to explain it which wouldn't be a problem.

obj1_x = getProperty("/one", _x);
obj2_x = getProperty("/two", _x);
delta_x = obj1_x-obj2_x;
obj1_y = getProperty("/one", _y);
obj2_y = getProperty("/two", _y);
delta_y = obj1_y-obj2_y;
if (Number((Number(delta_x*delta_x)+Number(delta_y*de lta_y)))<=Number(((Number(radius1)+Number(radius2) )*(Number(radius1)+Number(radius2))))) {
/:output = "colliding";
_root.gotoAndPlay(100)

} else {
/:output = "not colliding";
}

Last edited by VooDoo; 10-16-2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: I came up with an okay answer
Old 10-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
Ilikepandas

Cool! I knew I could always trust voodoo for a good answer. Thankyou thankyou thankyou. This peice of code is handy for collision, and after a bit of figuring it out I think I understand it. Your idea of swapping frames for different layer combinations (Which sounds really good unless theres tons of objects in the levels) I had tried before, however it proved too awkward and inconvenient for the games I make.

If the layer swapping was as simple as Mario 3, I could use the different frames method, but I'm trying to use multiple movieclips that can swap at once.

When looking through the submissions section, someone found a game that had exactly the kind of depth/layer swapping I am thinking of- Dad'n me
As soon as the guy you play as goes lower than another character, he becomes in front of it.

Thank you for helping, when I finish this game I'll put you in the credits (If I manage to sort out this depth- problem anyway)
Old 10-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
Ilikepandas

WAHOOO!!!! I FOUND OUT HOW TO DO !!!!!!

all I needed to do was add this code to my movie clips:
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
this.swapDepths(this._y);
}

Now no matter where you are, the lower you are, the more in front you are. Thanks for helping me anyway!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: swf Depth test!.swf (19.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Ilikepandas; 10-16-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
VooDoo

I'm glad i inspired you into figuring it out yourself theres no need to throw me in the credits but if you feel like it go for it if you want.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:42 AM   #9
Willy_Wonka
shit

Tournaments Won: 2

In the words of coach Z... Good Jorb!
Willy_Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
Charles rules you all!
My kitty

awesome.....I still cant make games I have no Idea how to do it...=(
Charles rules you all! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #11
VooDoo

Totally off subject but does anybody like my gun i just finished making, i don't like making threads so i'll just post here, if you seen my last creation (the Girl) thats gonna be her super cool hand gun.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
treefalse
Super-Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
Make it less shiney on the handle. :D
treefalse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
Ilikepandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
Totally off subject but does anybody like my gun i just finished making, i don't like making threads so i'll just post here, if you seen my last creation (the Girl) thats gonna be her super cool hand gun.
I like it. Its very detailed, and would easily blend into any movie
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 AM   #14
VooDoo

Thanks man i just can't wait till i get the girl ready to animate but it's so hard to rig a character to animate when your lame with 3d work, i do like a thousand things at the same time, i almost make that sound like a good thing but when your cpu crashes it's anything but good cause you don't know where anything is to rescue it.

Last edited by VooDoo; 10-19-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:31 AM   #15
Ilikepandas

Ahhh well, you'll finish her in the end. The good thing is, the more 3d you do the better you will be at it.