Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > General game discussion > RPing

Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
gabrielwhist
Banned

Default Possible RP's

Ok guys, we need to get a good RP going for us few loyal RPers, and maybe attract some other people as well. SO. Possible RP list. These are some topics I have found are usually popular on other RP sites. Feel free to add to the list, and to give input on the ones I have listed. If we can find a good topic we like, I'll turn it into an RP and get it going.

Kingdom Hearts
Naruto
X-Men
Bleach
Harry Potter
Vampires
Camp Halfblood

So, this is the list of popular topics for RPing that I have so far. I'd prefer that if we did any of these, it would be with original characters, rather than playing a character from any of the things they are based on.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

Tournaments Won: 2

vamps V wearwolves?
zombie apocalypse?
russian spies and american spies during cold war?
iraq war? (citicen or soldier?)
gussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
gabrielwhist
Banned

Ok. But... how would you RP the Iraq war?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Willy_Wonka
shit

wuts rping guise
Willy_Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
gabrielwhist
Banned

Please don't spam Willy. If you are serious, speak so that we can see so. That is one warning, you get three.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Willy_Wonka
shit

Whats RPing guys?
Willy_Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
gabrielwhist
Banned

Role Playing. Its kinda like online DnD. You write a story with multiple people, each person assuming the role of a different character.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

Gprime: The RP!

Honestly, I prefer original RPs, rather than one based on something. The one based RP I did and enjoyed was Armored Core.
Ryu-Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

Yea... picking something that's been done puts too many restriction on the RP.
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
gabrielwhist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu-Nacho View Post
Honestly, I prefer original RPs, rather than one based on something.
Agreed. However, a based one gives a clearly defined universe that allows for roleplaying ease, and the familiar subject matter makes it more enjoyable for some, as well as easier to carry a storyline.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

Hey man, I can shape a universe for an RP if need be.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
gabrielwhist
Banned

To the extent of a known one? GO FOR IT! Seriously, why don't you make one? In all honesty I prefer being a mere player to being GM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #13
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

That's exactly what I did with Hulnir Manaar. I think the main problem is people are afraid of the walls of text that come with a good RP. Mine's petering out so I'm just gonna tinker with it for a while but until I get explicit permission I won't take control of the other characters, which I really don't want to do.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
gabrielwhist
Banned

I just hate RP's that are undefined like yours was. I like a world idea, plot synopsis, and templates. I hate just jumping in with no idea of whats going on and making it up on the way.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

So, I was thinking of possible RP stuff, when I realized I don't know if any of these ideas are viable. I need some clues on what genres you guys are willing to do. =|
I'm also very lacking of motive right now, so it could be a while before I do anything like this.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Just write, I believe that's the way it goes. Just start an RP and if it's good folks will jump in.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
gabrielwhist
Banned

No. Thats a bad way to do it and makes for bad evil RPs. Post a basic synopsis and character template, and the RPers will come to you. Personally I am into alternate Fantasy RP's. Like FF style Fantasy, or modern day Fantasy or summat.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Shit..!

I had a good one, but I forgot it.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #19
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielwhist View Post
No. Thats a bad way to do it and makes for bad evil RPs. Post a basic synopsis and character template, and the RPers will come to you. Personally I am into alternate Fantasy RP's. Like FF style Fantasy, or modern day Fantasy or summat.
Posting a synopsis is only done when you can't include all the same information in the opening post. We may be looking at two entirely different definitions of the term here. I learned to RP from a few friends back in middle-school and the key points I got were that you basically write a narrative section, a small chapter on the actions and dialogue of your character. The story evolved and played out as it was written.

Writing a synopsis implies a level of rigidness that you don't want in a creative process. That means that the direction of the story is played out already and that there is zero room for deviation. If that is what you want then okay, but really, why not write your own story. I'm looking for a free-form experience in writing where my ideas can be expressed freely but be influenced actively by the decisions of others. Establishing a cut and dry explanation of where the story is going to go or rather where it already has gone, that's what a synopsis is.

Furthermore, a character template is just as limiting. A template is a blueprint, a series of guidelines with zero room for deviation outside of those lines. There is zero freedom and when it comes to characters, it means you have to do all of your developing upfront, right away. Again we come back to the no freedom aspect.

An RP should evolve freely and not be confined by preset limitations. It's a form of free expression in terms of writing. Maybe you are thinking of an RP as a roleplaying game such as Dungeons and Dragons where there is a GM, a rule set, a preordained system that applies to everything and comes equipped with limited character options, a bizarre goal that can never be satisfied and of course a basement because with those aforementioned things comes a basement. A subterranean, room with four walls or so and no sky.

But hey, this is just one opinion. I think you are wrong.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
gabrielwhist
Banned

Your opinion is foolish. Go on any RP site, and look at the number of RPs with plot synopsises and character templates, and how succesful they are, compared to the few, and universally failing RPs where you just "jump in".
Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

I would prefer a roleplay to be somewhat well-defined.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

I'm fleshing out an RP about a modern rock band on tour. PM me with band names and I'll put them in a poll when I start the thread. We need a lead singer, lead guitar (most likely me), bass player, and a drummer. Other positions pending, first come first serve.

EDIT: If anybody else wants to go ahead with this, I'm fine with it.

Last edited by Dudeo; 07-09-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielwhist View Post
Your opinion is foolish. Go on any RP site, and look at the number of RPs with plot synopsises and character templates, and how succesful they are, compared to the few, and universally failing RPs where you just "jump in".
Fair enough, if that creates efficiency it's fine. I just don't like it, it's too confined for me.
Also, synopses not synopsises and successful with two S's not one.

Last edited by happylittleClayFox; 07-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #24
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylittleClayFox View Post
Posting a synopsis is only done when you can't include all the same information in the opening post. We may be looking at two entirely different definitions of the term here. I learned to RP from a few friends back in middle-school and the key points I got were that you basically write a narrative section, a small chapter on the actions and dialogue of your character. The story evolved and played out as it was written.

Writing a synopsis implies a level of rigidness that you don't want in a creative process. That means that the direction of the story is played out already and that there is zero room for deviation. If that is what you want then okay, but really, why not write your own story. I'm looking for a free-form experience in writing where my ideas can be expressed freely but be influenced actively by the decisions of others. Establishing a cut and dry explanation of where the story is going to go or rather where it already has gone, that's what a synopsis is.

Furthermore, a character template is just as limiting. A template is a blueprint, a series of guidelines with zero room for deviation outside of those lines. There is zero freedom and when it comes to characters, it means you have to do all of your developing upfront, right away. Again we come back to the no freedom aspect.

An RP should evolve freely and not be confined by preset limitations. It's a form of free expression in terms of writing. Maybe you are thinking of an RP as a roleplaying game such as Dungeons and Dragons where there is a GM, a rule set, a preordained system that applies to everything and comes equipped with limited character options, a bizarre goal that can never be satisfied and of course a basement because with those aforementioned things comes a basement. A subterranean, room with four walls or so and no sky.

But hey, this is just one opinion. I think you are wrong.
See, that's how I like RPs. Loose boundaries. It could make for a really messy storyline, or a wicked one. It depends on the people.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
gabrielwhist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylittleClayFox View Post
Fair enough, if that creates efficiency it's fine. I just don't like it, it's too confined for me.
Also, synopses not synopsises and successful with two S's not one.
It creates efficiency and an all around better RP. And yeah, I can't spell for shit while stoned. I can barely tell what keys I'm pressing.