Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Sen
Venture Capitalist

Default Free Cuba

I recently (within an 18 month time frame. Call me paranoid, but I refuse to specify. Uncle Sam is listening) made a trip to Havana. I won't go into detail, but three things I thought were obvious before became even more apparent.

1) There is an unwritten clause in the constitution, amended after the death of Lincoln, that states that American Presidents have to be douche bags. There'd have to be, for America to force the entire OAS, save a few countries, to boycott Cuba for so long. As beautiful as it is, the fact is, I could make 10s of millions just selling paint in Havana, the buildings are so run down.

2)I'm not the only one that understands that people generally won't complain if they don't know any better. Castro has limits on Internet access for locals. In fact, it's all but illegal to have a private line.

3) Cow is holy. In Cuba, it's illegal to kill a cow, whether it's yours or not. Even if your cow is dying, you'd have to call a registered vet to put it down. If you did it yourself, it would mean as much as 7 years in prison. In fact, most restaurants can't even serve it. Beef can only be served in government owned restaurants. So if you go to a fast food joint and ask for a burger, be sure to ask what it's made of (Horse is a popular answer. I don't know if they're serious though).

There are not many places this side of the hemisphere as beautiful as Cuba, so why should its people be denied the opportunity to grow? Because they share different ideals? That sort of politics should be left in the playgrounds. I'm sure if Rosy didn't oppose Castro so harshly, he would have been lost in the history pages by now.

P.S. How many people knew that there is a Russian Embassy in Cuba? Or that Havana International is actually bigger than MIA? Cuba does its trading with Eastern Europe and Asia 'cus they actually have balls.

Last edited by Sen; 10-31-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Supa Fool
Band

Tournaments Won: 2

Well, when they attempted to barrage us with missiles under the same leader, it gives a good reason to steer clear from interaction. But I feel we should start over. It's not like Castro is the next Hitler, Stalin, or the next (insert North Korean leader here). He's not doing anything horrible to his people.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Nicky
g-user

He still sucks... and just because it's not at the level of some of the "greats" doesn't mean it's not horrible... I mean, the literacy rate of the general populous alone should be considered criminal. XP
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Supa Fool
Band

Does he not allow education?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Sen
Venture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyChris View Post
He still sucks... and just because it's not at the level of some of the "greats" doesn't mean it's not horrible... I mean, the literacy rate of the general populous alone should be considered criminal. XP
Actually, Cuba has one of the better tertiary education systems in the hemisphere, especially in the areas of Medicine and Engineering, and education is free. The only real problem education-related is that Cuba won't allow many international organizations in to assess their programs, so someone educated in Cuba has to take additional tests to ensure their competence.

And Supa Fool, just 'cus they were arming themselves doesn't mean they were going to aim for us. Cuba has never declared war or anything of the sort against America. Don't fall into the hole dug by political propaganda.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Supa Fool
Band

No, the Soviets positioned the missiles in case the United States attacked Russia, and then the United States declared they had stronger missles in Turkey aimed for Moscow, leading to both countries backing off. Am I right?

All I was saying was that we may be a bit nervous, not necessarily threatened.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Nicky
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenTheDeathAngel View Post
Actually, Cuba has one of the better tertiary education systems in the hemisphere, especially in the areas of Medicine and Engineering, and education is free. The only real problem education-related is that Cuba won't allow many international organizations in to assess their programs, so someone educated in Cuba has to take additional tests to ensure their competence.
And Supa Fool, just 'cus they were arming themselves doesn't mean they were going to aim for us. Cuba has never declared war or anything of the sort against America. Don't fall into the hole dug by political propaganda.
My class lied to me then...

I suppose both are the truth.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Sen
Venture Capitalist

Yep. The Cuban has a lot of faults. Education's not one of them
Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

Cuba has gotton a lot better under Castro's rule, he never did anything wrong to America or his own people, sure there are some wacky rules over there but it isn't that bad. Americans just assume that he's bad because he's a dictator.
gwia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Sen
Venture Capitalist

Exactly. Think of all Castro has accomplished, even when being shut out economically by the rest of the New World. Imagine where they'd be otherwise...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

Americans are just paranoid and scared that someone could take their power.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
gabrielwhist
Banned

Cuba sucks ass because it is a commie nation. Commies stink and I hate em.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #13
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

What have the done against you or your nation? Oh no they have a different viewpoint from you then they must be evil.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
gabrielwhist
Banned

You just don't get that commies are to me, as Satan is to Christians.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:46 AM   #15
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

What have they done that is bad in any way shape or form? I am referring only to cuban commies here, not the soviet or chink ones.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #16
gabrielwhist
Banned

ALL Communism is evil. The fact that they are Commie is evil in every shape and form. Seriously guys, I just don't like communism. I'm not really this crazy about my hatred of it, but I mantain it for shits and giggles.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #17
Sen
Venture Capitalist

...because you're a douche. You don't realize the power of words and you act in that ignorance. Kidding or not, you're a jack-ass.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #18
gabrielwhist
Banned

Quote:
...because you're a douche. You don't realize the power of words and you act in that ignorance. Kidding or not, you're a jack-ass.
Waaaah. I am a jack ass at times, but you seriously can't presume to know me. I know the power of words more than anyone. And there is nothing wrong with a joke, learn how to take one.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #19
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess_who_i_am View Post
Americans are just paranoid and scared that someone could take their power.
so america is still for fags?
gussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #20
gabrielwhist
Banned

America > Everything Else
Old 11-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
Sen
Venture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielwhist View Post
Waaaah. I am a jack ass at times, but you seriously can't presume to know me. I know the power of words more than anyone. And there is nothing wrong with a joke, learn how to take one.
That's your defense ALL THE TIME. Seriously, you can only expect that to have any potency the first 100 times...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #22
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussa View Post
so america is still for fags?
Nope, England is still though.

Quote:
ALL Communism is evil. The fact that they are Commie is evil in every shape and form. Seriously guys, I just don't like communism. I'm not really this crazy about my hatred of it, but I mantain it for shits and giggles.
No it isn't, that's a stupid steretype. Communists aren't all evil, they have a different government than you big fucking deal, no reason to label them as evil.

Quote:
America > Everything Else
No the country that produced Rosie O'Donnel is insta-phail, right along with the place that produced Paris Hilton, Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan...

Last edited by gwia; 11-03-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #23
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

the kkk....
gussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #24
gwia
Aussie Philosophy

Them as well, America has a long line of Hicks. And Dr James Watson the sexist/racist/homophobic/anti-fat people/scientist.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #25
gabrielwhist
Banned

Quote:
That's your defense ALL THE TIME. Seriously, you can only expect that to have any potency the first 100 times...
Then stop PMSing about me not liking communism. Its not my fault you make me keep explaining myself.

And GWIA, just because America produced some bad people doesn't mean we are not the greatest country in the world. We have more rights, more freedom, more say in our country and government than anywhere else in the world.