Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > gadgets and gizmos

gadgets and gizmos talk about the latest in techology. don't be afraid to be a geek

Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Question potential first build..

So basically I have been reading up on others first builds and gathering a good list to start with... also trying to keep cost low while maintaining a good level of performance..

What I've Selected:

Sunbeam PSU-HUSH680-US-BL 680W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

BIOSTAR VA4673NH51 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Open Window
OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Rosewill RC-401-EX 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Gigabit Low Profile Network Card
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

So far my bill is up to $615.91... So any suggestions as to lowering cost while maintaining or gaining performance is appreciate... also if you see anything that is not compatible please let me know...Thanks

-Cory
cj_mcnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Switched ram for -
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Switched Processor for -
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7300 - Retail

Switched MOBO for -
ASRock P43Twins1600 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Any Ideas? is this good setup? Compatible?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
insan3
only with free cookies

Tournaments Won: 1

Looks pretty good, though I'd suggest one change.
Go with this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131299
yeah, its a little more, but do you really want to cheap out on the main component in the computer?
Your also forgetting a DVD/CD drive, but those arent much of a factor. Also, stick with the Quad proc.
insan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
cj_mcnutt
g-user

I know this may be a while till this is viewable by other members but here is the current list of parts - it is in the form of my newegg.com wish list...

Cjmcnutt first computer build

As far as Quad vs. Dual proc. I have read that a lot of programs don't even fully utilize all the cores, and I probably wont even notice any performance gain..As one person said:

"When it comes to gaming performance, theirs hardly any difference. But when it comes to mutli-tasking, heavy editing and such, quad cores cpu's dominate. "

This is just a first build for me/and a learning experience...that said I just want a good low cost/still powerful enough machine, in case I ever give into PC gaming

P.S. anyone know how long it takes till I am of regular posting status?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
NartFOpc
is good at stuff

You are of regular posting status. Build looks good, like you said quad processors give you very slightly better performance with day to day stuff, so if you don't plan on needing a powerhouse machine the dual cores should suffice.
NartFOpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NartFOpc View Post
You are of regular posting status.
All my post still take a day or more to show up in forum, and I still see this message:
Notices -
Welcome to Gprime, cj_mcnutt. In order to cut down on the amount of spam, messages from new users must be approved by a moderator prior to showing up on the board. Please be patient and you will be changed to a regular posting status shortly. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NartFOpc View Post
Build looks good, like you said quad processors give you very slightly better performance with day to day stuff, so if you don't plan on needing a powerhouse machine the dual cores should suffice.
Thanks, I hope this build turns out nice for a first one... And hopefully I don't have any problems with any hardware and have to return...
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Ok, here is the final build list :

MOBO - $79.99
ASRock P43Twins1600 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor - $119.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7300 - Retail

Video Card - $76.99
BIOSTAR VA4673NH51 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU - $47.99
Sunbeam PSU-HUSH680-US-BL 680W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - OEM

Tower - $69.99
NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Open Window - Retail

CD/DVD drive - $25.99
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM

Floppy/A.I.O. - $24.99
Nippon Labs ICR-EE All-in-one USB + FDD1.44" Card Reader w/ 3.5" FLOPPY DRIVE - Retail

RAM - $49.99
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ - Retail

HD - $54.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Windows XP Home for system builders - $89.99
Nod32 antivirus home v3 - $29.99

SUBTOTAL = $670.89
SHIPPING= $38.06
TOTAL=$708.95

Allready have the MOBO, RAM, and the Proc. Mated and installed in case along with power supply and cd drive...

Only thing I am waiting on is the hard drive I ordered... I will post back when the build is done...Till then :

Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
insan3
only with free cookies

looking good. are you going to be using it for gaming?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3 View Post
looking good. are you going to be using it for gaming?
Thanks, I don't currently play any games on the pc, but I may get one or two sometime...Fallout 3, and Far cry 2...definitely look awesome
Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Zetex
g-user

Tournaments Won: 4

Looks good. The only thing you might want to consider is that with a 32 bit OS you won't be able to use all 4 gigs of your memory.
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
cj_mcnutt
g-user

oh yeah I know...Im actually am putting in 8 gigs..because I plan on getting a 64 bit OS in the future..
Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Ok so while I am waiting on the hard drive...I hooked everything up and threw in an OLD ass western digital 20gig HD that I recycled from an old computer...everything booted up fine and installed my copy of WinXP on it...so far I am loving this thing,the motherboard even came with an OC tuner program that lets you monitor proc.temp./and MOBO temp....also change FSB and voltages...

right now I just left it alone and I am running 32 degrees Celsius..

Everything running smooth and all drivers installed....
Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
insan3
only with free cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_mcnutt View Post
Ok so while I am waiting on the hard drive...I hooked everything up and threw in an OLD ass western digital 20gig HD that I recycled from an old computer...everything booted up fine and installed my copy of WinXP on it...so far I am loving this thing,the motherboard even came with an OC tuner program that lets you monitor proc.temp./and MOBO temp....also change FSB and voltages...

Its always nice to see it start up good right away. I wouldn't mess with any voltages quite yet though, read up on that stuff first. Those are good temps too. Nice job.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
Zetex
g-user

Quote:

Hah, that's nice. My first build I had my head up my ass and screwed the motherboard directly to the case instead of using the spacer and ended up frying it. The video card I ordered ended up being a dud also.
That temperature is really good. It's only 20ish degrees Fahrenheit above room temperature.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetex View Post
Hah, that's nice. My first build I had my head up my ass and screwed the motherboard directly to the case instead of using the spacer and ended up frying it. The video card I ordered ended up being a dud also.
That temperature is really good. It's only 20ish degrees Fahrenheit above room temperature.
yeah I was real careful about using the brass stand offs, because I have read about so many ppl not using them and screwing their MOBO. up..

anyways its doing the windows update right now...ugh..really slowly I might add, I got 947kB/s while downloading AIM but if I where to geuse I would say Windows Update is running about 11kB/s, and I don't know why...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #16
cj_mcnutt
g-user

Quote:
ok correction... It's been downloading Windows update for a little over an hour now and I checked temps again...now CPU=29.C and MOBO=25.C

p.s. I am so glad I am regular posting status now...those post times where horrible...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
insan3
only with free cookies

Quote:
yeah I was real careful about using the brass stand offs, because I have read about so many ppl not using them and screwing their MOBO. up
good call, i forgot them on my second build, and next thing i know i have a fire goin in my case. wasnt good.
So everything is still working good?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #18
cj_mcnutt
g-user

yes everything working great..all updates done..drivers installed..now all I need is a good game lol..
Old 01-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #19
Backflip
Macho Man

Tournaments Won: 3

darkfall
Backflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflip View Post
darkfall
That game has been in development so long I won't be surprised if the graphics are incredibly outdated. It does seem like a pretty cool game. I might try it when it comes out, even though it's an MMO.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
insan3
only with free cookies

wow, i had never even heard of that Darkfall game, but it does actually look kinda cool. I wonder if your gonna have to pay for it though. probably.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
Backflip
Macho Man

Tournaments Won: 3

the graphics looked pretty good, its supposed to release later this month.

its probably gonna be either buy o play or pay to play.
Backflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #23
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3 View Post
wow, i had never even heard of that Darkfall game, but it does actually look kinda cool. I wonder if your gonna have to pay for it though. probably.
I think it's going to be pay to play but there will probably be like a free month trial or something. You should try it when it comes out, the PVP on it is supposed to be really fun.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
Willy_Wonka
shit

Tournaments Won: 2

duke nukem forever
Willy_Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Nitz
//wall blocks control

wow i forgot about darkfall, its been so long i thought that project was cancelled or something.
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote