Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

Old 03-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Natus Lumen
Banned

Default Evolution

What do you think of evolution? Theories, who we came from, where, when, whatever.

I would like to say now that anyone who says anything along the lines of, "You are all wrong. [A] God created us," can just keep your fingers off the keyboard and move to the next thread.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Siriustar
Retreat! Retreat!

I'm too tired for formulating an intelligent opinion tonight, much less debate it, so let's leave it at "I think we all came from a common ancestor, a simple prokaryote that was created on early Earth by a chemical reaction that most people don't really understand because it involves complicated biological terminology".
Siriustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Natus Lumen
Banned

You mean primordial soup? I understand most of that stuff, although I haven't been through chemistry yet.

I was just reading up on the mysteries of Neanderthals (no, not cavemen) and how they were around in Europe and the Middle East when humans first settled in those areas. If we evolved from one species of primate, then I think that neanderthals evolved from another species, but I don't think that Neanderthals were ever a part of human evolution.

Before that, the human species originated in Africa, right?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverender. View Post
I was just reading up on the mysteries of Neanderthals (no, not cavemen) and how they were around in Europe and the Middle East when humans first settled in those areas. If we evolved from one species of primate, then I think that neanderthals evolved from another species, but I don't think that Neanderthals were ever a part of human evolution.

Before that, the human species originated in Africa, right?
The Neanderthals migrated from Africa to different parts of the world, however some remained in Africa, and over the next several million years they began to adapt to the African climate(losing hair, smarter(you cant outrun an antelope by pure brawn) etc.)
Then the two possible theories scientists have come to make are that either the Neanderthals didn't adapt to the environment, and died off, or the new sapiens killed them over territory.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Natus Lumen
Banned

They obviously adapted, as they lived in several parts of the world for hundreds of thousands of years. I think it's most likely that humans and Neanderthals went to war over territory, but then again, they did once find a hybrid human-neanderthal in modern-day Lisbon.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Siriustar
Retreat! Retreat!

Quote:
You mean primordial soup? I understand most of that stuff, although I haven't been through chemistry yet.
Primordial soup is a terrible term, and I refuse to use it.

The theory is that on early Earth, there were adequate environmental factors to create organic materials, specifically amino acids (the building blocks of proteins), and this theory was tested by a man named Stanley Miller.

Quote:
He reproduced the early atmosphere of Earth that Urey proposed by creating a chamber with only hydrogen, water, methane, and ammonia. To speed up "geologic time" in his experiment, he boiled the water and instead of exposing the mix to ultraviolet light he used an electric discharge something like lightning. After just a week, Miller had a residue of compounds settled in his system. He analyzed them and the results were electrifying: Organic compounds had been formed, most notably some of the "building blocks of life," amino acids. Amino acids are necessary to form proteins which themselves form the structure of cells and play important roles in the biochemical reactions life requires. Miller found the amino acids glycine, alanine, aspartic and glutamic acid, and others. Fifteen percent of the carbon from the methane had been combined into organic compounds. As amazing as discovering amino acids at all was how easily they had formed.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Paveway

Tournaments Won: 1

Quote:
What do you think of evolution? Theories, who we came from, where, when, whatever.

I would like to say now that anyone who says anything along the lines of, "You are all wrong. [A] God created us," can just keep your fingers off the keyboard and move to the next thread.
I would like to say now that anyone who says anything along the lines of "You are all wrong. [A] Evolution created us" can just keep their fingers off the keyboard and move to the next thread.
Albeit they go hand-in-hand in certain aspects.

Quote:
He reproduced the early atmosphere of Earth that Urey proposed by creating a chamber with only hydrogen, water, methane, and ammonia. To speed up "geologic time" in his experiment, he boiled the water and instead of exposing the mix to ultraviolet light he used an electric discharge something like lightning. After just a week, Miller had a residue of compounds settled in his system. He analyzed them and the results were electrifying: Organic compounds had been formed, most notably some of the "building blocks of life," amino acids. Amino acids are necessary to form proteins which themselves form the structure of cells and play important roles in the biochemical reactions life requires. Miller found the amino acids glycine, alanine, aspartic and glutamic acid, and others. Fifteen percent of the carbon from the methane had been combined into organic compounds. As amazing as discovering amino acids at all was how easily they had formed.
Except that there is no experimentation that will even closely sustain and/or construct existence of beings, thus the experiment is nullified if it supports the theory of life from abiogenesis without an ethereal being.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Siriustar
Retreat! Retreat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paveway View Post
Except that there is no experimentation that will even closely sustain and/or construct existence of beings, thus the experiment is nullified if it supports the theory of life from abiogenesis without an ethereal being.
Experimentation, theories and hypotheses are nullified by follow-up experimentation that disproves them, not by the lack of experimentation to back them up.

That being said, the experiment produced organic material, correct? Since this is really all the experiment accomplished, it proves only that the building blocks of life can be produced in an abiotic environment, and nothing more. The possibilities exist that there were subsequent reactions that somehow brought the organic material together into a living organism, or maybe God just miracled them together, who knows.

Claiming that a successful experiment is nullified because there is no experimentation proving a further progressed, separate hypothesis makes no sense to me.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Natus Lumen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazerMurdoch_SS View Post
Primordial soup is a terrible term, and I refuse to use it.
The theory is that on early Earth, there were adequate environmental factors to create organic materials, specifically amino acids (the building blocks of proteins), and this theory was tested by a man named Stanley Miller.
Yeah. It is a terrible term, but that's how I learned it. The thing is, theories of creation (AKA The History of Life on Earth) was one of the first chapters in our biology book, which really pissed me off, and then straight after that we got into protein coding and in-cellular sciences. All in the first few weeks of class.

Anyway, I think that the only reason we (animals) came into existence is because photosynthetic organisms came into existence and provided the air (probably a compund of about 80% nitrogen, 20% carbon dioxide, and 10% other gases before plants) to be suitable for breathing. Plants first adapted to live in this environment, and then (this is where it gets very iffy) the first terrestrial organisms proceded onto the land out of the water, and animals evolved from that. As you get to smaller and smaller levels (cells, mitochondrial DNA, amino acids, amino acid composition, etc.) it opens the way to discovering how evolution progressed, but it's been so long, and animals have had roughly a billion years to advance, that it's difficult to tell what organisms we're related to just by studying DNA and proteins. As a result, we may only ever be able to speculate the origins of life and various species.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Anyway, I think that the only reason we (animals) came into existence is because photosynthetic organisms came into existence and provided the air (probably a compund of about 80% nitrogen, 20% carbon dioxide, and 10% other gases before plants) to be suitable for breathing.
1.It's not a compound, its a solution. They're not chemically bonded, that would create some nasty stuff.
2.Suitible for breathing? Oxygen is just one element suitable for "breathing", its simply the fact that there was so much oxygen that the only way you could survive was to breathe it.
Quote:
Plants first adapted to live in this environment, and then (this is where it gets very iffy) the first terrestrial organisms proceded onto the land out of the water, and animals evolved from that. As you get to smaller and smaller levels (cells, mitochondrial DNA, amino acids, amino acid composition, etc.) it opens the way to discovering how evolution progressed, but it's been so long, and animals have had roughly a billion years to advance, that it's difficult to tell what organisms we're related to just by studying DNA and proteins. As a result, we may only ever be able to speculate the origins of life and various species.
We didn't evolve from plants, its doesn't follow a linear progression, it branches out. We came from eukaryotic bacteria, along with the plants.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Natus Lumen
Banned

Umm...I meant that we evolved from the first terrestrial organisms that proceded from the water. The first forms of life on earth were prokaryotic, and the first multicellular organisms on earth were protists like algae. And we evolved slowly from protists right? Oh wait protists were eukaryotic...
Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
Part Nicky

I never did understand how knowing for sure weather or not we evolved from monkeys would do anything for humanity. Either way, so what? Why is it such a big deal... as far as I can tell, the most interesting thing happening out of that information is this:

If we did evolve from chimps (if at all) -
Scientist: "lol we pwn joo"
Fundie Christian: "WAT NO FAER!"

And if we didn't -
Fundie Christian: "loo we pwn JOO"
Scientist: "WAT NO FAER!"

Last edited by Part Nicky; 03-24-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
Zetex
g-user

Tournaments Won: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Nicky View Post
I never did understand how knowing for sure weather or not we evolved from monkeys would do anything for humanity. Either way, so what? Why is it such a big deal... as far as I can tell, the most interesting thing happening out of that information is this:
If we did evolve from chimps 9if at all) -
Scientist: "lol we pwn joo"
Fundie Christian: "WAT NO FAER!"
And if we didn't -
Fundie Christian: "loo we pwn JOO"
Scientist: "WAT NO FAER!"
Idiot.
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #14
Natus Lumen
Banned

You know what? I'm really just kinda glad that I'm here.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Part Nicky

I'm just happy I'm not some insignificant life form like a fly, or a skin cell... that would suck! I know it sounds weird, but I actually feel sorry for those creatures.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Zetex
g-user

Tournaments Won: 4

It would only suck if you had the ability to think it sucked.
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
Part Nicky

That's what makes it suck. It's worse than vegetation... especially since skin cells are alive for less than a day, and don't flies only live to be 48 hours old?

Last edited by Part Nicky; 03-24-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
sean.m06
Moved on

i think the universe was created by meteors crashing

if this has nothing to do with this thread then soz i cant be bothered to read much
sean.m06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
Natus Lumen
Banned

I think we were all created by the power of nature.

Except Abraham Lincoln, Chuck Norris, and Sean.m06, in order of existence. Abraham Lincoln was sent to earth from another universe to try and take over our world with his facade and promises, but luckily, John Wilkes Booth was here to stab his ass. Chuck Norris was created...I'm not even sure if he was created or if he's always been here, but he's too awesome to be seen on the normal human spectrum.

As for Sean.m06, he was just drawn and pulled off the paper and into our world by a mad artist. However, the artist didn't see fit to give him a brain.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 AM   #20
Axel
=D

I lost respect for you, even if it was a joke. Not to say I had any respect for you at the start.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #21
Natus Lumen
Banned

I never had any hint of a respect for you anyway. Of course, you have a higher ranking in this world than the likes of Sean.m06.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #22
Axel
=D

I don't respect anyone on the internet unless they make me laugh. The only exceptions are Napalm and D_S.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #23
Natus Lumen
Banned

They make me laugh, but not because they're funny.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #24
sean.m06
Moved on

Default hey

Quote:
I never had any hint of a respect for you anyway. Of course, you have a higher ranking in this world than the likes of Sean.m06.
heyyy!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i belive u were created by some guy jumping of a cliff and landing on a peanut...oh w8 thats just your brain lol

Last edited by sean.m06; 04-05-2007 at 07:04 AM. Reason: because he makes me so angry
sean.m06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #25
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

huh?