Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

View Poll Results: Is the world getting progressively worse?
The world IS getting worse. 4 40.00%
Things are getting better. 0 0%
Things aren't changing, good or bad. 3 30.00%
There's no way to know. 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Coldin
g-user

Default Is the world getting worse?

In some attempt to breathe some life back the debating in these forums, I think I will try to post a series of threads in this forum regarding topics I feel are easily debatable. In regard to some complaints I've been hearing, I will try to distance these from religion or politics, at least for the time being.

(Note: Please DO NOT post here saying "this forum is dead, forget it" I'd rather have a flame-war than pointless negativity.

I always hear people complaining about how the whole world is progressively getting worse as time goes on. They support this theory with things like global warming, increased drug use, corporate scandals, corrupt government, pollution, health problems, poverty, and other reasons.

Now by "better" I mean, overall quality of life, and also fulfillment in life, overall happiness.

Now the major question here, is the world really getting worse? Or are people just looking on the negative side of everything? Or is it just perhaps that as we mature, we progressively experience more and more undesirable events?

In my opinion, the last is true. The older I get, the more I seem to experience the worlds problems, such as drugs, apathy, and become more aware of corruption in society. I don't think the world is actually getting worse, I think people just realize more of the world shortcomings over time, especially as they come out of the protective womb of ignorance.

It would seem to me that this would also be the reason of the higher rates of depression in teens, and therefore the increase rates of suicide. Since, it seems to me, that at this time in an individuals life they gain more knowledge relative to their ignorance, than at any other time.

Or maybe I'm wrong? Maybe the human race is just leading itself downhill? Hundreds of years ago, people died of minor infections, yes, but then again, when you consider how things were 50 years ago, the contrast makes you wonder.

So the final question is, is the world getting worse? Or better? Or has it not changed?

Last edited by Coldin; 02-16-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Coldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Nicky
g-user

Humanity is (actually its leaders are) smarter now, but it's too late. We're reaping the consequences of the past, and in vain trying in one big desperate attempt to replenish what parts of this world still have life and the change of a hopeful future.

How's that for emo.

In truth, I think the world goes in cycles.... Everything seems to always just repeat itself over and over. Eventually it's going to explode. If it doesn't the world will go mad... which technically is the explosion.

Though I think the world was always mad.

That, and what you said Coldin.

Last edited by Nicky; 02-16-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Snow
19th President

IF GLOBAL WARMING DOESN'T KILL US COMMUNISM WILL!!!
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

define worse.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Nicky
g-user

I think we should define our own interpretation of worse.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyChris View Post
I think we should define our own interpretation of worse.
then the debate has no meaning.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
Coldin
g-user

I did define worse...read more carefully
Old 02-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Sen
Venture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
IF GLOBAL WARMING DOESN'T KILL US COMMUNISM WILL!!!
Aww, I like teh Communism.
Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Sen
Venture Capitalist

If this doesn't answer your question, nothing will. This guy in NY killed his daughter for talking to a boy. What has me perplexed is I can't understand how he was still allowed to have custody the children after trying to ignite a car with them inside of it? Are foster parents that bad?
Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

Tournaments Won: 2

everyone is that bad...
dont you watch the news?
according to the news, everyone is satan!
gussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Krusty_The_Klown
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussa View Post
everyone is that bad...
dont you watch the news?
according to the news, everyone is satan!
Yes! In fact, if you have sex under 18, you're part of the Al-Queida!
Krusty_The_Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the world is getting worse, seeing as how there have been two school shootings recently and I just saw on the news that there was another freeway shooting again. So yeah...the world is definitely getting worse.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Nicky
g-user

Two bad happenings does not = the world getting worse. Not that I'm lessening the seriousness of those shootings.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

see its that kind of thing that an indicator of how fucked up the world actually is.
you have to say "Not that I'm lessening the seriousness of those shootings." because if you dont, the rest of the world satrts up a whole new argument over that and it just gets worse and worse until..... thats just it.. there is no untill. it just gets worse and worse... and thats the worst part about it
its like the world has a single thorn in its side and all it has to do is reach over and pluck it out but the problemm is that we left it too long and now its so swollen and infected over on itself that we cant reach the thorn... its become so infected that the infection is even attacking the infection itself..... about the only thing that could possibly happen to this earth that would be any good would be if we all died....
Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #15
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyChris View Post
Two bad happenings does not = the world getting worse. Not that I'm lessening the seriousness of those shootings.
Don't forget Viriginia Tech which did happen pretty recently and also that Amish school shooting that happens a little earlier than Virginia Tech. I'm not saying those two bad happenings indicate that the world is messed up. I'm using those two "bad happenings" as an example of how these "bad happenings" are happening more frequently and therefore the world is more messed up. I mean don't you notice if you go watch the news on TV you tend to hear more about bad news than good news? I mean if there's only bad things happening and bad news then what "good" is the world coming to?
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

obviously, as drunken_shinobi has rightfully informed us, two school shootings are a sign of the apocalypse.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow

You're an asshole.

If you dig into the past, really sick twisted shit was always going on, and it always will. I think it may also increase with time, because we are constantly finding new ways to do everything, and more serial killers are born into the hands of these newfangled toys, with new ideas and ways to execute them.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #18
Samiam22
LIAR!

We're more doomed then I thought, and the world is get torn apart because the Democrats and Republicians can't leave eachother alone.
Samiam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #19
gussa
The Little Colon Angel

Samiam....
seriously. can you stop.. ive tried my hardest to ignore your stupidity and im getting to the end of my tether.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #20
Coldin
g-user

Well, Shinobi, you seem to only be basing your ideas off of what you hear from the media. However you are overlooking th idea that the media focuses only on the negative side of the news, but then again, the reason for this is that this is what is in demand from the viewers. But we also must consider the posibility that people only feel an urgency to watch the news if they feel as if something is wrong, if everything is okey-dokey, why should they care?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #21
Natus Lumen
Banned

The only good still existing in this world is nature as it has been for 4.5 billion years. And sometimes other people, but only on a personal level.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #22
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

Coldin, I do not believe the world is getting worse. If reality is what two or more individuals perceive to be true but any two people may view the same thing differently while agreeing that in some way it exists, then only one person is needed to determine what is real: the person perceiving reality. Because of that, each person's depiction of better or worse is very, very different. In my reality, the world around me is growing in some strange direction I care not to see.
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
Coldin
g-user

But for sake of efficent communication, and to compare like and unlike ideas, we can judge "better" or "worse" off a certain standard. That is why for the sake of this debate I gave the standard when I said "Now by "better" I mean, overall quality of life, and also fulfillment in life, overall happiness." are these things declining in the world overall, are they staying at the same level or are they inceasing?

Understand that I am not asking if the world is good or bad, for that there's no answer because, like you said, standards of these things differ from person to person. What I am asking is if the world is getting WORSE, by worse I mean relative to how it was in the past. Therefore people with differing opinions can still debate over this, since there is a relative standard.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 AM   #24
gabrielwhist
Banned

Every generation tends to believe that they are in the worst spot, that the generations before them lived in a Golden Era, and the youth is sick and corrupted. That is the way of the world. Looking back, the 1950's may seem like a wonderful time, but they really were no better than current times. We we were coming out of one Hellish war, and starting another. The most "evil" device in history had been created, and the world hung in the balance. To top it all of, Elvis Presley was coming in with his awful sexual hip shaking and satanic music and corrupting the children.

The way I see it, the world does not get worse, it gets smaller. More and more people inhabit a plane that does not grow to accomodate them. More and more communication is established, and more and more technology is created. All of these things lead to a greater sense of tragedy in the world. Perhaps there are more terrible occurences in the world than there were 50, or even a hundred years ago. Or perhaps the few that do occur are just more widely spread, the media taking one murder and showing it the world over. In reality, its all a matter of perspective.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote