Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > General game discussion

General game discussion general video game discussion

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Default Modern Warfare 2 Airport Level "No Russian"

I'm sure by now most of you have seen or heard of the controversial Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 level titled "No Russian". In this mission you go into an airport and gun down hundreds of civilians with automatic weapons as an act of terrorism. I don't know if the mainstream media has reported on it, but I imagine that when Fox, CNN, etc. notice, they'll attempt to induce panic.

Now I personally don't care about Modern Warfare 2 either way, but it appears to me that Infinity Ward is simply trying to create controversy, as the GTA series has taught us that video games are not exempt to the "any publicity is good publicity" trend. I'll admit that this scene made me semi-interested in the game, which was Infinity Ward's goal, but only interested enough to make a thread on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMnnMRWJ-0
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Snow
19th President

I can see the mission quickly becoming this gens Hot Coffee. Looking up some back story, I got a better understanding of the mission and it doesn't seem as offensive considering the context and an apparent warning beforehand (along with an option to skip the segment). However, you have to admit that the mission is controversial, at the least. Such an intensily disturbing sequence will definitely bring a lot of negative media attention to the game, who will assume that it's there for the enjoyment of the gamer. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it either, considering all the emotion regarding terrorism in the post-9/11 world. Using it as a plot device is one thing, but to put the player in the shoes of the enemy may be a step too far. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Zetex
g-user

Tournaments Won: 4

I wonder how the people in India will react to this, seeing as how they just went through a pretty tragic terrorist attack similar to this last year.
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!

God this shit is going to be fun. They should have let you plant a bomb in that airport, too.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Snow
19th President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
God this shit is going to be fun. They should have let you plant a bomb in that airport, too.
I hate you.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Tournaments Won: 3

It's a video game, why not be evil? Then again, in most RPGs I usually play as lawful/neutral good.
happylittleClayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Tommygun711
Hardcore boxer

I'm always evil in video games. KOTOR, or Fallout 3, whatever it is I'm usually evil. :D. Though, I sometimes play the game both ways so I know what it's like. Going good is usually harder then the alternative.
Tommygun711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Seriously? Wow, I find the only thing harder is not being able to freely open certain containers. I like it however as it teaches me some self-restraint.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Tournaments Won: 2

I'm true neutral in most games. GO GO SPEEDRUN
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

I love taking my time with games. The only game I've ever really sought to speed run through is Sands of Time. Dude, the movie looks so fun. I am excited.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Tommygun711
Hardcore boxer

I can never pull off speed runs. Except a few years ago, in super mario brothers. But that's kind of easy to do. I could never do it in an RPG or something like that.

Honestly, to me, speed runs are just so people can post them on youtube and show off.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Speedrunners on youtube are fucking ridiculous. I tend to do my runs while adhering to the principle of actually going through the game, rather than skipping massive sections of it. And yes, RPGs are fucking hard runs.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Have you seen the speedrun for Cave Story's final level? Ridiculous.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Tommygun711
Hardcore boxer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USm5c_9CLJk
I have now. Jesus christ!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

I don't know how he did it but my god. That level was hard, I just gave up.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!

Most of a speedrun I ever done was beat the main storyline of GTA vice cityin 5 hours, but I used cheats so I guess it doesn't count. Oh and on-topic - Russian version of the game has been recalled until the level is taken out. PC Versions got a mandatory patch over there, I think, as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

That reminds me of how Germany banned the newest Wolfenstein game because of the swastika.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

I just finished the campaign yesterday, and I think the mission thickens the plot better than just saying there was a terrorist attack in an airport.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #19
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou27 View Post
I'm sure by now most of you have seen or heard of the controversial Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 level titled "No Russian". In this mission you go into an airport and gun down hundreds of civilians with automatic weapons as an act of terrorism. I don't know if the mainstream media has reported on it, but I imagine that when Fox, CNN, etc. notice, they'll attempt to induce panic.

Now I personally don't care about Modern Warfare 2 either way, but it appears to me that Infinity Ward is simply trying to create controversy, as the GTA series has taught us that video games are not exempt to the "any publicity is good publicity" trend. I'll admit that this scene made me semi-interested in the game, which was Infinity Ward's goal, but only interested enough to make a thread on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMnnMRWJ-0
I played that mission the other day on my friend's laptop while I was at school the other day. I can say that I can agree with you on the fact that Infinity Ward is trying to create controversy for the sake of some publicity. Although I noticed before starting the campaign or game they opted for an option where you could skip the level if it could possibly offend you. I already saw the level though and I decided it wouldn't offend me and I just wanted to see how it'd be like to play the mission. Honestly, I will say I had that guilty pleasure of gunning down cyber civilians for the first 20 seconds of the level but I soon got tired of it because you have to spend over half the level walking slowly through the airport and gunning them down which got annoying very quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
No...just no.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Shinobi View Post
I played that mission the other day on my friend's laptop while I was at school the other day.
Did you now, now did you?

Watched my friend playing some this morning, I didn't find this mission all that interesting. Honestly, I doubt that a lot of people are going to skip this level on account of being offended. At least nobody who knows what a reality check is.

Last edited by Dudeo; 12-08-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
happylittleClayFox
The Pied Piper of toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Shinobi View Post
No...just no.
High-five.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
Forseti
Carny Folk

I've not played this game, but now I think a purchase is in order.
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
I've not played this game, but now I think a purchase is in order.
I'd probably just pirate it, or at least wait until it becomes cheaper. I just bought one off of Ebay for $42 from some guy in Taiwan, but I have a significant feeling that its a scam. We'll find out soon enough...
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #24
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!

Probably has a big ass scratch on the disk, and the case is a flimsy little paper case with the letters MW in Taiwanese?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #25
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeo View Post
Did you now, now did you?

Watched my friend playing some this morning, I didn't find this mission all that interesting. Honestly, I doubt that a lot of people are going to skip this level on account of being offended. At least nobody who knows what a reality check is.
Nah...I didn't play, in fact I was just sitting in the sidelines watching and pretending I was playing because that's how you play the game without playing it.

Seriously though...I did try it and before I started the campaign mission it did have a little thing to opt out of that one level. You do have a point where the opt out option is quite useless in the sense that most people will choose not to opt out just out curiosity of playing the level. Nevertheless, I see that they at least gave the option to the player so that in the event he does get offended then he won't have any grounds to get all Jack Thompson and say something like, "OMG! I WAS SO OFFENDED BY THIS LEVEL! I BET IT CAUSES SCHOOL SHOOTINGS AND OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF TERORRISM!" while attempting to take legal action against Infinity Ward. That or it's just the way things are these days and how the slightest things can offend people now.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote