Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

View Poll Results: Media: Positive or Negative Influence?
Hell Yes! 0 0%
Hell No! 13 100.00%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #51
gabrielwhist
Banned
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
Ok, first I think many of you (not all) are misusing the phrase "media". Media refers to any form of communication that is targeted towards mass groups of people. Everything from television to the Bible is actually media, not just tabloids about celebrities.

And I hate how people say the media is a bad influence. The media itself really isn't an influence at all, the media just targets what people care about, because that is what sells. Do you honestly think that if the media stopped showing pictures of super-skinny celebrities, that all the teenaged girls would decide they didn't want to starve themselves anymore? No, society itself defines what is shown in the media, the media shows super-skinny celebrities, because our society wants to see super-skinny celebrities. The problems said to be caused by the media (since it is already in discussion I will use this example) such as the mentality around skinny being beautiful, are really caused by problems in society that aren't being dealt with because its so easy to blame the media.

For example, say a teenage girl is annorexic (sp?) and her parents blame the media. However, what caused her annorexia was actually her seeing skinny girls treated better by peers in school. Now what the media does is just re-represent what is occuring in society, therefore, the girl watches on television what she has already seen for herself, so how can it be that showing someone that which they have already seen can lead them to make a decision? The media just is making the connection to society, in our society, there are skinny people who are happy and unhappy, who connect with those in the media, so they watch it, there are people who like looking at skinny people, so they watch it, and there are people who want to be like the skinny people, so they watch it. If you were to get rid of the media, all these people would still be there, all still feeling the same way, you would only be removing the representation of the problem, not the problem itself.

This applies to all influences, positive and negative, from the media, not just skinnyness. Also, it could be said that someone could experience the representation of one of these influences in the media before they experience them in society itself, but then again how could that hurt them in anyway but preparing them for it?

This applies to all influences, positive and negative, from the media, not just skinnyness. Also, it could be said that someone could experience the representation of one of these influences in the media before they experience them in society itself, but then again how could that hurt them in anyway but preparing them for it?

And TPS what you said is totally untrue. It isn't a minority telling the majority what to believe. First of all, the media is made up of several different companies, there isn't a little club of men with curly mustaches and tophats who meet up every week and go, "Mehheheh what can we trick the people into thinking now?" No, in any buisness the marketers, and accountants have first say, and they start with the simple question of "What will sell?" and, yes, they all come out with the same answer.


What it all comes down to is this: It isn't the media itself that is the problem, its the demand for it. As long as people want something; drugs, porn, rubix cubes, someone will be there to make a buisness and make money, it is how capitalism works. The question isn't "Why oh why is the media making everyone think these terrible ways?" the question is "Why oh why are there enough people who want think this way to keep the people who produce this shit in the money?"


If people believed everything they heard, whether it be in TV or anywhere else, then as soon as we told someone they didn't have to be skinny to be happy they would start eating normally. This isn't the case, the case is that no matter how young someone is, they believe what the media tells them because they WANT to, get over it. They aren't being brainwashed, or mind-controlled to a point where they can't stop themselves, they choose this for themselves. It is that choice that is the problem, not the media who simply dipicts the choice the majority has made. The media DEPICTS the majority, it doesn't DEFINE it.

However, this doesn't apply to media based off of fiction, as these types of media do not represent society in the same way. Also, fictional works are much too diversified to make a generalization as to their influence.

P.S. Why do people always answer yes or no to multiple choice questions?
You write too much. Summarize your thoughts. Otherwise no one is going to listen to you. Ever. Besides Nitz, cuz he is crazy.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #52
Nitz
//wall blocks control
 
Tournaments Won: 4

Default

btw the poll q&a are terribly worded. Q: is media "a" or "b". A: "yes" or "no" ???
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #53
Sen
Venture Capitalist
 

Default

I agree with Coldin. But then again you already knew that. But just for Gabe

*The term "Media" is misused.

* The media is only as bad as the element of Society it is representing.

* The idea that the media is on some Illuminati NWO shit is ludicrous.

* The media isn't the problem. It's the demand for it (Society's the problem).

* T.V. doesn't have nearly the amount of influence people claim.

* The options in the poll are stupid and close-minded.
Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #54
gabrielwhist
Banned
 

Default

Thank you Sen.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #55
Coldin
g-user
 

Default

Advertising? The same thing applys, actually, it applies especially to advertising. All advertising is targeted towards a certain demographic (teens, housewives, working people) they simply insert situations, characters, and ideas into their advertising that depict the values of each demographic.

And if I am wrong, then try to tell me why I'm wrong, that is the point of debating..
Coldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #56
Natus Lumen
Banned
 

Default

God DAMMIT. I just wrote out this really good argument and I was just wrapping it up when Gprime refreshed itself and logged me out because of some Firefox (or Gprime?) setting I accidentally turned on and can't turn off. If I don't click any links then Gprime automatically refreshes itself, so typing long paragraphs is made impossible. I think it might be something to do with cookies or temporary data. Oh well.

Anyway, my point was thus, to summarize:

The media is a negative influence on teens because it makes ideal yet ludicrous occurrences, personalities, thought-processes, actions, or lifestyles seem normal, while in actuality these things are, well, ideal yet ludicrous.

This makes teens develop the idea that certain concepts (above) are quite normal, while in actuality these things would never naturally occur in the incidence that teens were not trying to emulate something they consumed from the media.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #57
gabrielwhist
Banned
 

Default

And thus an hero was born.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #58
Coldin
g-user
 

Default

Thank you for summarizing, but actually, I didn't the poll options were closed-minded in any way, just stupid (sorry, but proofread before you post threads and polls).

I sometimes take a more complicated aproach to questions like these, therefore I elaborate heavily as not to be misunderstood as meaning something I don't.

I guess to summarize my post heavily would be to say: TV is bad because society is bad.

And Natus, that would be true if you only look at statistics, but in truth, the main reasons most of these people think and act those ways, then you realize most are for reasons other than TV.

Last edited by Coldin; 05-26-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Coldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #59
Natus Lumen
Banned
 

Default

I think it's that teens like what they see happening to characters in books, movies, or on tv, so they try to emulate these situations for themselves. Naturally, they are deeply disappointed when it turns out these things are bullshit.

And to disagree, Coldin, I don't think tv displays society, at least not accurately.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #60
Coldin
g-user
 

Default

Natus giveme a specific example of what you are refering to please.
Coldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #61
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

You guys realize you keep saying "Teens see this, teens do that blah blah blah." It's not just teens. (And I know you guys know that, but let me see where this is going. I always ramble.) The people affected by the media (excuse my loose use of the term) are the very adults who are analyzing and talking about teens and their problems, saying it's caused by various media sources. Maybe they are seeing their problems through us, but making some of us think they are actually our own problems, thus perpetuating the problem.

Oy, I don't even know what I'm saying. But onward!

"The media isn't the problem. It's the demand for it (Society's the problem)."
Everyone here keeps saying that. I agree and disagree.
Of course society has something to do with it. but I don't think we're the root of it. If the media shows something to a large group of people one day, and they like it, they'll go out and tell all their friends about it, and they'll tell their friends, and so on. So really society is just the dead grass the fire feeds on. Though, I can also wholeheartedly agree it's their own damn fault for being stupid enough to mindlessly gobble up such petty ideas, whatever they are.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #62
Natus Lumen
Banned
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
Natus giveme a specific example of what you are refering to please.
The Notebook, i.e., and other movies of the sort. Teenage girls develop this unbelievably cheesy and entirely false idea of what a relationship should be like, and eventually, marriage. And when a relationship doesn't work out exactly like they saw in PS, I Love You or any of other countless cheesy romance movies, they seem to be extremely disappointed.

And that's only movies. Books and news stories also play a significant impact. Notably, MTV Cribs, while giving teens something to aspire to, and setting goals, does not give teens the idea that houses like that and the shit in it cost so extravagantly highly that only the very top tier of American people will ever be able to achieve that.

I can give hundreds of reasons why the former and the latter both piss me off, but they aren't directly relevant to the media's influence so we'll save that for another time and place.

Last edited by Natus Lumen; 05-28-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #63
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Ooo, a thread regarding your first paragraph might be in order. It's thanks to those movies that there is no romantic creativity (Okay, there's plenty left, but MOSTLY.) left in this world.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #64
Nitz
//wall blocks control
 
Tournaments Won: 4

Default

Or perhaps thanks to movies like that girls think "romantic creativity" is actually important to a relationship ;)
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #65
Natus Lumen
Banned
 

Default

Uh no. Girls (well, except Becca, for our intents and purposes) are jealous of what they see on tv and expect their boyfriends to be all throwing-stones-at-the-window and flowers for apologies and midnight phone conversations and love poems.

And anytime you try to do something creative that you think would be romantic, they tell you, "Just stick to what you see on tv from now on." I haven't experienced this personally, but I know some girls who would say that.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #66
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Exactly.

No one is receptive to anything even slightly out of the norm (translation: cool) and so those who are into that sort of thing (hi) are left hanging. It's a hard knock life.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #67
Natus Lumen
Banned
 

Default

No one cares for you
A smidge
When you're in an
Or-phanage.
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #68
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

*bird poops on you*
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #69
gabrielwhist
Banned
 

Default

You wanna know how I wooed my girlfriend (current, not ex)? She is a huge fan of eighties hair metal, and loves dorritos. So I got a giant burlap bag, and painted the dorritos logo on the front of it, then filled it with like, 12 full sized bags of doritos. Then I blasted Talk Dirty To Me by Poison on a boombox in the quad and presented her with the gigantic bag of chips, and of course asked her if she would go out with me. She said yes.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #70
Coldin
g-user
 

Default

First, metal, society is not the fuel that feeds the fire. Again, for some reason many of you seem to be under the assumption that when studios make TV shows they fill them full of all of the shallow, and ignorant concepts just because they feel like it.... I mean, use your head, these are multi-million dollar corporations, and they make their decisions based on a detailed analysis of their viewers.

Pretty much what I am saying, is TV today is almost customized by the audience who watches it, TV is the way it is because that is what people want, done any different, people wouldn't watch it.

Natus, it seems to me that if anyone here is being influenced by the media its you, because most girls would actually never say that. In fact, most people DO respond to romantic creativity rather than romantic imitation. Not to say this is 100% of the time, but everybody usually responds better when they feel something you do is made more personal to them by being completely unique, as in Gabriel's example. The only ones who don't would probably be the arrogant celebrities shown in the media.


And in response to what Metal said.........what? People DO respond to orginality, its just you can't expect every movie, tv show, etc to be original, because true originality is difficult to accomplish. Also, originality doesn't make up for lack of talent, you can make a movie that is nothing but an apple sitting on a table and it would be original, but not entertaining. Honestly, if you ask me there has been a recent rise in originality in media. I can't really understand what you are basing that assumption off of.

Last edited by Coldin; 05-30-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Coldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #71
gabrielwhist
Banned
 

Default

But u gais totally lurve how i aksed her, rite?
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #72
Coldin
g-user
 

Default

Eh, it would have been better if you had dressed in a dorito costume and played guitar along with the music. I would have...


Totally sub-par man...

Last edited by Coldin; 05-30-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Coldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #73
Natus Lumen
Banned
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
First, metal, society is not the fuel that feeds the fire. Again, for some reason many of you seem to be under the assumption that when studios make TV shows they fill them full of all of the shallow, and ignorant concepts just because they feel like it.... I mean, use your head, these are multi-million dollar corporations, and they make their decisions based on a detailed analysis of their viewers.

Pretty much what I am saying, is TV today is almost customized by the audience who watches it, TV is the way it is because that is what people want, done any different, people wouldn't watch it.

Natus, it seems to me that if anyone here is being influenced by the media its you, because most girls would actually never say that. In fact, most people DO respond to romantic creativity rather than romantic imitation. Not to say this is 100% of the time, but everybody usually responds better when they feel something you do is made more personal to them by being completely unique, as in Gabriel's example. The only ones who don't would probably be the arrogant celebrities shown in the media.


And in response to what Metal said.........what? People DO respond to orginality, its just you can't expect every movie, tv show, etc to be original, because true originality is difficult to accomplish. Also, originality doesn't make up for lack of talent, you can make a movie that is nothing but an apple sitting on a table and it would be original, but not entertaining. Honestly, if you ask me there has been a recent rise in originality in media. I can't really understand what you are basing that assumption off of.
Well what I said was pretty hypothetical. Still though, the larger portion of teenage girls have a fantasy and have it set in their mind what they want. You get the occasional chick like in Gabby's case who's really cool, but for the most part, the popular pretty girls who everyone wants to be like are just plain generic and they all want the same thing. I'm not saying all girls just want the same old romantic shit you see on dumb movies but the sickeningly vast majority do.

My feelings toward the American teenage female population are less than warm, and rather jaded.

And as far as originality in television goes, I have this to offer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1kbEah3wgRs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielwhist View Post
But u gais totally lurve how i aksed her, rite?
Props
Natus Lumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #74
MeTal CaNdYcaNe
Foxy gal meow meow
 
Tournaments Won: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
First, metal, society is not the fuel that feeds the fire. Again, for some reason many of you seem to be under the assumption that when studios make TV shows they fill them full of all of the shallow, and ignorant concepts just because they feel like it.... I mean, use your head, these are multi-million dollar corporations, and they make their decisions based on a detailed analysis of their viewers.

Pretty much what I am saying, is TV today is almost customized by the audience who watches it, TV is the way it is because that is what people want, done any different, people wouldn't watch it.

Natus, it seems to me that if anyone here is being influenced by the media its you, because most girls would actually never say that. In fact, most people DO respond to romantic creativity rather than romantic imitation. Not to say this is 100% of the time, but everybody usually responds better when they feel something you do is made more personal to them by being completely unique, as in Gabriel's example. The only ones who don't would probably be the arrogant celebrities shown in the media.


And in response to what Metal said.........what? People DO respond to orginality, its just you can't expect every movie, tv show, etc to be original, because true originality is difficult to accomplish. Also, originality doesn't make up for lack of talent, you can make a movie that is nothing but an apple sitting on a table and it would be original, but not entertaining. Honestly, if you ask me there has been a recent rise in originality in media. I can't really understand what you are basing that assumption off of.
"society is not the fuel that feeds the fire. "
"and they make their decisions based on a detailed analysis of their viewers."

Okay.

I KNOW some people respond to originality. But it's hard to find the ones that do. I guess this is going into a slightly different matter, but lots of people base their standards off of other people's standards, so if one person doesn't like a certain method of wooing, maybe someone else will start to say the same, even if deep down they do like it. But gradually more people will start to say the same, and those cool ideas get weeded out of the accepted list, like social natural selection I suppose. Then, as you say, The head honchos analyze what their people seem to like, (I say "seem" because they're not going to sit down with everyone in a therapy session and dig into what tastes they're hiding) the and display it onscreen. Therefore, society is the fuel.
MeTal CaNdYcaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #75
gabrielwhist
Banned
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natus Lumen View Post
Props
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.
gabrielwhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Say one positive and one negative thing about the person above you. paranoia lots o' nonsense 1248 06-25-2007 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2005-2007 Gprime.Net