Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #51
Zetex
g-user

Tournaments Won: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3 View Post
Like what though? I wasnt there 2,000 years ago to know in first hand what happened and stuff, so I'm just believing what im told, and your believing what your told. No one can prove either wrong.
Well, nobody has told me to be agnostic. Common sense and research has steered me away from the well established religions people follow.
If I told you that pink unicorns roamed the Earth until two thousand years ago when they were eradicated by a flying spaghetti monster would you believe me? It makes about as much sense as Jesus Christ and his miracles. The only difference is you weren't brainwashed as a kid before you started forming your own opinions on things to believe in it. You were brainwashed into believing in Jesus Christ and a man living inside a giant fish for three days, and into thinking all of the animals on this planet were in walking distance of Noah's living room.

Last edited by Zetex; 12-29-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #52
insan3
only with free cookies

Tournaments Won: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetex View Post
Well, nobody has told me to be agnostic. Common sense and research has steered me away from the well established religions people follow.
If I told you that pink unicorns roamed the Earth until two thousand years ago when they were eradicated by a flying spaghetti monster would you believe me? It makes about as much sense as Jesus Christ and his miracles. The only difference is you weren't brainwashed as a kid before you started forming your own opinions on things to believe in it. You were brainwashed into believing in Jesus Christ and a man living inside a giant fish for three days, and into thinking all of the animals on this planet were in walking distance of Noah's living room.
33% of the world must think that its as believable as the unicorns.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #53
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3 View Post
33% of the world must think that its as believable as the unicorns.
I think you mean 33% of the world thinks it's more believable than unicorns and a flying spaghetti monster.
Brainwashing is funny like that.

1.5 billion follows Islam, a religion you view as false as irrational.
900 follow Hinduism, a religion you view as false and irrational.
Just because it has a high statistic doesn't mean it's true. Using a similar logic, 66-67 percent of the world view Christianity of false; that's double the population that view it as real. That must mean Christianity is false.

Last edited by Zetex; 12-29-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #54
insan3
only with free cookies

Quote:
I think you mean 33% of the world thinks it's more believable than unicorns and a flying spaghetti monster.
Brainwashing is funny like that.

1.5 billion follows Islam, a religion you view as false as irrational.
900 follow Hinduism, a religion you view as false and irrational.
Just because it has a high statistic doesn't mean it's true. Using a similar logic, 66-67 percent of the world view Christianity of false; that's double the population that view it as real. That must mean Christianity is false.
I wasnt saying it was true just cause of that stat. whatever why the fuck are we arguing? were not gonna prove either's view wrong so lets just drop it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #55
Zetex
g-user

You're right, we never will prove each other wrong. Even shoving facts under someone's nose showing Jesus is a plagiarized story and most likely a metaphor for the sun won't change their irrational beliefs.
All of those myths from BC times that are almost completely identical to Jesus must have been Satan's work.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #56
insan3
only with free cookies

Quote:
All of those myths from BC times that are almost completely identical to Jesus must have been Satan's work.
must have
Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #57
Snow
19th President

GUYS Jesus was the sun
It's in Zeitgeist

Watch it, it will change your LIFE.

NAAAT.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #58
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
GUYS Jesus was the sun
It's in Zeitgeist

Watch it, it will change your LIFE.

NAAAT.
And 9/11 was a conspiracy!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 AM   #59
Frank
G-dictator

I can't prove to you that the bible is true, that God exists and that Jesus actually came to the earth. You have to read the bible yourself, and find out for yourself. To just say things like, these are all metaphors for something else, makes me think: really? Who told you that? Just because Jesus came to the earth 2000 years ago, doesn't make what he said any less credible. Look at how the Grecians and Romans contributed to Government and the arts and the sciences. Just because their societies existed 2000 years ago, does that mean that they were stupid and have no credibility? Because some societies from the past might have believed that if they weren't careful about disturbing certain Spirits the ocean was going to fall on them make them more stupid then people blindly believing that we can cause global warming? How about you read what Jesus said and stop thinking that our generation is smarter. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11:1
Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #60
Zetex
g-user

I think the fact there are older myths from all the way back to 3000 BC that are nearly exactly like the story of Jesus Christ and the fact they're all based around astronomy says something.

There's many of them, but since I don't feel like doing all of the research right now, here's just one example I know off the top of my head:

Mithra was born on December 25th. He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles, sound familiar? He had twelve twelve companions, Jesus had twelve disciples. He was buried in a tomb and then resurrected after 3 days, Jesus was crucified on the cross (Zodiac) and resurrected after 3 days. This was sometime between 1200-600 BC, before Jesus Christ was even heard of. Oh yeah, and Mithra will return some day and pass judgment on all of us, and on Sundays (the day of worship of him) they would eat symbolic pieces of flesh from him.

There's also Horus, Attis, and Krishna. I think I'm missing one or two myths that Jesus is a near replica of. They all were believed in and worshiped before the existence of Jesus. How do you explain the similarities?

Jesus is obviously a copy of other fictional beings. Even a lot of stories were copied from older ones. Noah's Ark, for example, is just a slightly modified version of Gilgamesh.

Last edited by Zetex; 12-30-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #61
inkblot
g-user

Quote:
"I love you homosexuals so I'm going to pass prop 8 and make you second class citizens, for your own good."
If I were a Christian, I wouldn't just sit back and let thousands of people unwittingly go to hell.

Quote:
"I love you but since your religion is wrong I'm going to go on a crusade and slaughter thousands of your helpless people; that will help you get into heaven...somehow."
The Crusades weren't Christian wars as much as they were "Hmm, I know we're supposed to liberate the Holy Land, but...screw it, let's just sack Constantinople!" wars.

Also, there's one problem with the "Jesus is a metaphor for the sun" theory. Jesus probably wasn't born on December 25th. When Christianity was first established, other dates were chosen (May 20th, March 21st), but December 25 was chosen in order to convert pagans, many of which celebrated the winter solstice and didn't want to lose that.

I'd like to offer my own theory: Jesus is the Doctor. He's immortal, he saves the world, and the earlier myths can be explain by regenerations. The Ark of the Covenant is the TARDIS.

Last edited by inkblot; 12-30-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #62
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblot View Post
Also, there's one problem with the "Jesus is a metaphor for the sun" theory. Jesus probably wasn't born on December 25th. When Christianity was first established, other dates were chosen (May 20th, March 21st), but December 25 was chosen in order to convert pagans, many of which celebrated the winter solstice and didn't want to lose that.
He is because the story of Jesus was stolen from previous myths which were metaphors of the sun. The difference is a date or two were changed for Jesus. Ironically, his birthday was pushed back to December 25th.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #63
shotta
g-user

Default my opinion

live your own life. don't follow a bunch of stories/myths/legends from a book that has been reprinted/reworded so many time.
hey gues i been smoking too much green. LOL. ive never even opened a bible.
I think every1 has got there own belief let them live their life and you live yours.
I think jesus was just a normal fella getting through life. although very intelligent and strong. look at the beliefs into stone henge and how that was made they were clever people back then not just him. as for his miracles he probably took the same steps as Mr Miyagi and his great healing powers. and told great stories "to make people listen" of events that he personaly had the logic to work out from the universe and its
Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #64
Frank
G-dictator

To give you an idea of why Jesus couldn't have been born on December 25th. The Shepards were watching their sheep at night in the hills. Now if it were December, those shepards would be extremely stupid to be up there, because it would have been freezing cold. Another thing to remember is our calenders are different from the calenders back then.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #65
Willy_Wonka
shit

Tournaments Won: 2

in the middle east?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #66
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
To give you an idea of why Jesus couldn't have been born on December 25th. The Shepards were watching their sheep at night in the hills. Now if it were December, those shepards would be extremely stupid to be up there, because it would have been freezing cold. Another thing to remember is our calenders are different from the calenders back then.
That's a pretty weak argument but okay. Tending to your livestock is a year round thing, you can't just take a break from it when it gets cold.
Also, it may be Easter that is considered his true birthday but that doesn't suddenly make it all original and true. If I went and copied an entire book then moved the dates in it 10 years into the future it would still be plagiarism.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #67
Willy_Wonka
shit

Quote:
If I went and copied an entire book then moved the dates in it 10 years into the future it would still be plagiarism.
NO IT WOULDNT BECAUSE THEN ITS DIFFERENT HAH HAH! Estoy usando el internet!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #68
Ryu-Nacho
G-Monarch

Quote:
Now if it were December, those shepards would be extremely stupid to be up there, because it would have been freezing cold.
It was two thousand years ago. It was going to be cold no matter where they chose to hang out.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #69
N-Doggy-Dawg
God of the Moon Spoons

Quote:
I've been on the gamefaqs politics board, I've been seeing them. All "Libertarian" athiests who hate christians also if you're right wing you're a bigot and George W. Bush is the devil.
Bush isn't the devil, Cheney is. But I guss that not what you were saying, never mind.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #70
Willy_Wonka
shit

this video should show you why religion in all forms is wrong
Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #71
Siriustar
Retreat! Retreat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwia View Post
I've been on the gamefaqs politics board, I've been seeing them. All "Libertarian" athiests who hate christians also if you're right wing you're a bigot and George W. Bush is the devil.
Holy spaceballs, gamefaqs politics board?! I'm going to stab you in the motherfucking throat.

You're as deluded as they are.

----------------
Now playing: St. Vincent - Paris Is Burning
via FoxyTunes
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #72
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
they're essentially the same.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #73
CorticalChaos
g-user

How Can You Blindly Follow Christianity?

faith lol

Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #74
Zetex
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorticalChaos View Post
How Can You Blindly Follow Christianity?

faith* lol

*brainwashing
Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #75
inkblot
g-user

People believe in Christianity because it gives them hope that their life has meaning. Otherwise, *insert nihilism here*, and no one wants to face that.

*is currently too lazy to type anything longer*
Closed Thread