Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > debating

debating big whoop, wanna fight about it? (just kidding, keep discussions peaceful)

Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Tournaments Won: 4

Default Park51 Community Center (aka "Ground Zero Mosque")

I found this to be a rather compelling argument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Supa Fool
Band

Tournaments Won: 2

I rarely agree with Olbermann, but his view mirrors mine. Why is it that the Bill of Rights should apply only to Christianity and Judaism? Why is it that all Muslims are viewed as hateful towards other religions? People clearly have never visited Muslim countries, where the people are certainly more welcoming than the majority of Americans.
Supa Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

It's just a shit ton of fearmongering intended to whip people up into a frenzy of support before the midterm elections. Nobody will remember this shit in two years.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Snow
19th President

Keith Oblermann's voice makes me barf.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Nitz
//wall blocks control

I'm pretty sure that means you're in love.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!

It all comes down to stereotypes in the end. In America, the first thing that comes to most children's head when they hear the word "Muslim", they think of Osama Bin-Laden, and the events of 9/11.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Nicky
g-user

Everything in this video expresses my feelings about this (minus the plethora of information I didn't know before watching it). I saw in CNN last night a woman interviewing citizens in the street about this issue and my blood boiled over what they had to say. Muslim is the new black in this country.

I noticed that there's a video of Glenn Beck's reaction to the right of the initial video. Not sure if I should watch it as I'm not in the mood to fry my braid in melted crap right now.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
herpes
g-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
It all comes down to stereotypes in the end. In America, the first thing that comes to most children's head when they hear the word "Muslim", they think of Osama Bin-Laden, and the events of 9/11.
No they don't. That kind of thinking doesn't go far beyond the clump of right wing idiots that is the tea party.

On that note, I want to share a beautifully written piece I ran across a few months ago that I believe is becoming more and more relevant each time the bigots on the right rear their ugly head.
"Who are you better than?"

Last edited by herpes; 08-22-2010 at 10:10 PM.
herpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
Nitz
//wall blocks control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I noticed that there's a video of Glenn Beck's reaction to the right of the initial video. Not sure if I should watch it as I'm not in the mood to fry my braid in melted crap right now.
He doesn't actually say anything about it. Here's a breakdown of what it is:

1 minute mocking NPR and Masterpiece Theater
2 minutes mocking Olbermann's use of the phrase "damn it"
2 minutes joking about how many more viewers he has than Olbermann
30 seconds warning Olbermann of the wrath of God

He pretty much just sounds like a retard that can literally barely speak the entire time. I mean, even more so than usual.

I actually like how he starts it out right off the bat showing he can't think of anything to say to actually make fun of NPR like he wants. So, he just says they like to take public money and "spend spend spend." Because clearly, all of that fund-raising isn't to offset the huge cutbacks in public funding, its to blow on Hawaiian vacations. Wait, sorry, that was the Republican National Committee. NPR actually uses their money for important informational programs. Mister Beck runs into the same problem when attempting to poke fun at Olbermann, and just keeps saying "damn it" in a mocking tone over and over. He even mentions Keith's mother and Shakespeare a number of times as well (!?) Yeah, I don't get it either.

Last edited by Nitz; 08-23-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Argumentum ad hominem is the best way to entertain and/or persuade the weak-minded and prejudiced, as it is precisely what they want to hear. Whether or not Beck understands this consciously is up for debate, however, he certainly takes advantage of it. He's pandering to people who are even less cognitively capable than himself, and altogether he gains the support of a large number of of voters who can't tell fact from fallacy.

Last edited by Dudeo; 08-23-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Drunken_Shinobi
Ninja Pimp Slap!

I don't necessarily agree with Olbermann 100% but I do share his views that Islam isn't primarily some radical religion that preaches about death to America and anybody who isn't Muslim. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of you already know, the average practicing Muslim does not share the views with the Islamic fundamentalists and, if anything, those radicals are considered 'outsiders' to the average Muslim. However, I do find that putting a Muslim related building or community center, if that's what it is, can be quite a red card unless they can somehow include something pretty damn big in there to acknowledge the victims of 9/11. Overall, I admit that Olbermann is doing the right thing by trying to inform ignorant bastards out there that Islam is not a terrorist religion.
Drunken_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
Nicky
g-user

I watched this on C-SPAN earlier today and I think it would be a good contribution to this discussion. It was really insightful, albeit covering mostly basic common sense issues i.e. the "Muslims are people just like you" argument and what-not. Still a good watch nonetheless.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/295260-1
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote