Go Back   gprime.net boards > other stuff > General game discussion > Microsoft

Microsoft Discussion of Microsoft console gaming products

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Liquid_Snake
SNAAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!

Default Microsoft Sued over banned Xbox Live accounts

As you all know combating Pirated anything can be a hassle. From music, to movies, to games, it is impossible to stop every single person doing it, so Microsoft decided to do what they thought was right. The banned many Xbox Live accounts that were connected to Modded Xbox 360s. They also banned everyone who decided to change the systems OS to Linux. So far the count of banned accounts have been (no proof on this)reaching as many as 600,000 users.

Now they are getting sued. CrapKick can't provide a link, so you're gonna need to google it for more info.
Liquid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
ksedO
g-user

Smile Microsoft Sued over banned Xbox Live accounts

Microsoft bans 1 million Xbox Live players

It's oh-so enticing: you find a copy of a brand new game like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on a pirate site and the temptation to download it is too strong.

Well, that temptation may have cost up to 1 million users of Microsoft's Xbox Live the ability to use that service. According to a report in InformationWeek, Microsoft has banned as many as a million players from Xbox Live for altering their consoles in order to play pirated versions of games.

This week, Activision's new Call of Duty was released, and InformationWeek speculated that because pirated versions of the game appeared on various sharing sites in advance of the release, the game's developer may have exhorted Microsoft to enact the bans.

"Xbox 360 consoles are equipped with digital rights management technologies designed to detect pirated software," InformationWeek wrote, "but some players have successfully 'modded,' or modified, their machines to circumvent DRM protections."

Even if someone has been banned, their Xbox will still play offline games, InformationWeek said. But it's not at all clear if the bans are permanent or if Microsoft will allow those who have been booted from Xbox Live to return at some point down the line.

In a statement Microsoft said: its "commitment to combat piracy and support safer and more secure gameplay for the more than 20 million members of the Xbox Live community remains a top priority. All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and modifying their Xbox 360 console violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live. We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of Modern Warfare 2 and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken."

And on the Xbox support page, Xbox Live Director of Programming Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, has addressed some of the circumstances that could lead to a player's being banned.

"Players who find their Gamertags banned from Xbox Live have wound up in that situation due to violations of the Xbox Live Terms of Use," Major Nelson wrote.

"The Xbox Live team monitors players for not just cheating, but also for things like threats, racism, profanity, and just being an all around poor sport and ruining the game for others.

"When a Gamertag comes up as violating our policies for online behavior, the person who owns that Gamertag is punished by being banned from the service. Keep in mind, this isn't just a ban on a particular game. This is a ban on the Xbox Live service as a whole, so you won't be able to go online at all during your ban. Initially, you may be banned for a day, a week, or depending on severity, permanently! Kiss that $50 goodbye."
ksedO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Dudeo
GLITTER ACTION SHIT

Tournaments Won: 2

Just a quick, unrelated question for Live users: Microsoft is the only vendor allowed to offer a service like Live to xbox end-users, correct?

Last edited by Dudeo; 11-23-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Dudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
As you all know combating Pirated anything can be a hassle. From music, to movies, to games, it is impossible to stop every single person doing it, so Microsoft decided to do what they thought was right. The banned many Xbox Live accounts that were connected to Modded Xbox 360s. They also banned everyone who decided to change the systems OS to Linux. So far the count of banned accounts have been (no proof on this)reaching as many as 600,000 users.

Now they are getting sued. CrapKick can't provide a link, so you're gonna need to google it for more info.
Although it would technically be possible for people to run PowerPC distros like Yellow Dog on the 360, I've never actually heard of people doing it. It is kind of funny that you cannot pirate games on the PS3 still, while Sony also allows the installation of Linux right out of the box. (on pre-slim models anyways)
Heyyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou27 View Post
Although it would technically be possible for people to run PowerPC distros like Yellow Dog on the 360, I've never actually heard of people doing it. It is kind of funny that you cannot pirate games on the PS3 still, while Sony also allows the installation of Linux right out of the box. (on pre-slim models anyways)
well I guess that's what happens when your ISO's are 30 gigs.
MrNaPaLm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNaPaLm32 View Post
well I guess that's what happens when your ISO's are 30 gigs.
Even once the system's firmware gets cracked, piracy will still be a pain, for as you mentioned some titles have ISOs greater than 30GB. I heard awhile back that Little Big Planet is 46GB, but I don't have a PC Blu-ray drive to confirm this.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Even once the system's firmware gets cracked, piracy will still be a pain, for as you mentioned some titles have ISOs greater than 30GB. I heard awhile back that Little Big Planet is 46GB, but I don't have a PC Blu-ray drive to confirm this.
Yeah theres a couple on the torrent network, but none of them have many seeders.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Microsoft is usually pretty lenient compared to other companies when it comes to piracy.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Yeah theres a couple on the torrent network, but none of them have many seeders.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Microsoft is usually pretty lenient compared to other companies when it comes to piracy.
Currently there are no software or hardware modifications available to make copied Blu-rays playable. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but frankly I'm surprised it has not happened yet. The Xbox 360 was cracked within a year of it's release, yet the PS3 is now over 3 years old.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
MrNaPaLm32
Banned

Quote:
Currently there are no software or hardware modifications available to make copied Blu-rays playable. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but frankly I'm surprised it has not happened yet. The Xbox 360 was cracked within a year of it's release, yet the PS3 is now over 3 years old.
Well considering Blu-ray burners are still around $300, it serves no purpose to crack it anyways.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Heyyou27
CIS SCUM

Quote:
Well considering Blu-ray burners are still around $300, it serves no purpose to crack it anyways.
They're closer to $200, but that's still around 10x as much as an internal DVD burner.