PDA

View Full Version : Linux??

CalculatorJunky
11-13-2005, 12:00 AM
does anybody know a good linux distribution?

blackice
11-13-2005, 06:36 PM
You will get as many different answers as there are people on the board. Personally I'd say if you are just starting out, start with Knoppix.

Kent
11-13-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't care really. I use Windows.

treefalse
11-13-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't care really. I use Windows.
Amen to that.

Kent
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Amen to that.

Thank you, kind moderator :)

blackice
11-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I challenge anyone to find anything important that Windows can do that cannot be done on linux/bsd

Kent
11-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Show the Windows loading screen while booting up. I win.

blackice
11-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Entirely possible with framebuffer. (although I dont know why you would want to).

Next!

Kent
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
I guess I lose. How about this?

Can Linux charge crazy prices for their software? (I know it's a diss to Windows but it's all I got right now).

Application software! There's more application software available for Windows!

blackice
11-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Actually yes they can. But its pointless because of the terms of the GPL license, which mandates that if you give someone the software, you have to provide the source code as well. That person is then free to distribute the code to anyone else without charge as long as they comply with the GPL as well.

As far as applications go, think of how many programs do virtually the same thing. That's why there are so many more for win32. Most of them will have linux equivalents as well, and the ones that dont should run under either wine or crossover-office.

CalculatorJunky
11-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Blackice, bc my cd drive is screwy, knoppix doesn't start up (i have 2, only one works, and i think it freezes when it tries to use the other)

also, how easy is it to make my computer dual boot

blackice
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Dual booting kinda depends on how new the computer is, and how comfortable you are changing BIOS settings. Personally that's how I do it. I just go in and specifically tell the computer which drive I want to boot from. Of course that's assuming you have 2 physical drives rather than partitioning one single. I haven't tried dual booting from grub (one of the linux boot managers) lately, but last time I tried I couldn't get it to boot the windows drive right.

There's another option that will let you boot a linux installation inside Windows that would probably be a good alernative to something like Knoppix. For the life of me, I cant think of the name right now but I'll search around and try to find it.

EDIT: Using WinNT/2k/XP bootloader to dual-boot linux. (http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337) Scroll about 1/3 of the way down.

coLinux (http://www.colinux.org/) is what I was talking about. "Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software." Screenshots (http://www.colinux.org/?section=screenshots)